36 | new year

THIRTY-SIX. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

"kenma!" tetsurō kuroo called out, waiting for someone to open the door.

the rooster head had woken up bright and early on the first day of the year. january first was the time wherein he would visit the shrine with his family or the team. but this particular new year's, he opted to go for the latter. spring nationals is three days away, and he, along with the rest of nekoma needed to start their year right to make sure they don't mess their year up— may it be doing something as simple as a shrine visit.

being the setter's best friend and neighbor, he knew that it would probably take a lot of persuasion to get him to come along— let alone get him out of bed.

he knew for a fact that kenma's parents were away on a business trip, so he had enough confidence to just shout his friend's name and wait for him to open the door.

there was a barrage of light footsteps that resounded through the house. kuroo let out a light sigh— finally.

"we're going to visit the shrine with the team, kenma." kuroo said once his childhood friend opened the kozume residence's front door.

"are you going to come—" he paused when he saw that the shorter boy was already dressed. he blinked at the setter. "woah, i thought i had to pull you out of bed again or something."

kenma blankly stared at him, "i'm not praying with you."

"huh?" kuroo asked, his brows creasing together. "but you're dressed up so—"

"i'm going with someone else." kenma quietly pushed past kuroo and started putting on his outdoor shoes.

the boy was wearing a plain black hoodie that seemed too flimsily to even give him warmth, underneath was a dark grey shirt, comfortable black sweatpants, and now also his outdoor shoes.

"someone else?" kuroo asked, quirking an eyebrow at his friend's words.

"you got a girlfriend or something?" he asked with a teasing grin, expecting a heavy 'no' to fall from the setter's lips.

because, i think we all know that at first glance, kenma doesn't seem like the type to want to involve himself with girls.

so imagine kuroo's surprise when—

"yeah, sorta.." there was a light blush that crept up the setter's cheeks as he stood back up and dusted himself off imaginary dust.

he looked at kuroo, "i gotta go, or i'll be late."

before kuroo could even respond— still stunned by the news, the setter had run off, faster than he's ever seen before.

snapping out of his reverie about ten seconds later, kuroo's eyes widened as he screamed, chasing after his friend.