14

Y/NS POV:

"Listen" i started my tone full of a calm brewing anger  "i know your gonna call them so please, don't worry about me? okay, since i can't leave because of my ankle it'll be more convenient for both of us if you get it over with now. They usually take a while to get here anyway." 

"oh god" she said before sitting down at the foot of my bed. "I'm not sending you back there"

"what?"

"that call you heard was with my friend, we were trying to figure out what would be best for you in this situation."

"i don't understand, i said i would leave in the morning theres no reason for you to make any plans for me or anything..."

"are you running away from someone?" she cut me off with an abrupt change in topic

"i don't- um-"

Scarletts pov:

I could see her begin to panic. Their eyes assessing the room looking for an escape. she clutched the sheets as her eyes widened and she started to creep away from me. i realised quickly i needed to say something to calm her, diffuse the situation fast.

"hey, its okay. Listen, i was going to call the police and some lawyers to see... Well to see if i could maybe foster you or something"

now she turned to me, eyes wide...  if I'm being honest i was expecting her to cry or thank me or.. at least smile, but what came out of her mouth next was a shock to say the least.

"oh...are you sure about that?" she said to me with a completely blank expression, a very very slight tinge of confusion in her voice.

"what?"

"its just... fostering a child is quite an ordeal,  It usually takes around 6 weeks, you'll need to take a class and make sure your registered and you'll need a caseworker... i just don't think your fully considering this"

"sweetie i have good lawyers that can sort that out a lot faster than usual. Would you, do you want me to send you back?" I noticed an immediate change in her expression. her face solidified into compliance and even more noticeably, fear. i shouldn't have said it like that, now that i think about it, it did sound very much like a threat. she gulped, and then her lips twisted into a small polite (and very fake) smile.

"No, I just thought that maybe if i just waited until my ankle healed and then left it would be easier on you, but obviously i was wrong. I'm sorry" that sounded so scripted it made me want to throw up. I didn't know how to fix this, how to make her trust me, to not see me as any sort of threat.

I left and went to the kitchen to make y/n something to eat but mostly i just went so that i could think. it came to be pretty quick and i was kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. So, i called the most unthreatening person i know...

"hey lizzie? i need your help..."