Chapter 31

*1 month later*

It had been a month and everything had gotten worse. It was rule after rule, and the punishments hadn't gotten any better either...

I sat on the floor with my back leaned against the wall, studying for my OWLs.

From around the corner, I heard small sobs. I craned my neck around the corner, just barely catching a glimpse of a little girl.

I sighed, standing up. I brushed myself off and turned the corner.

"Oh, dear." I bent down next to her, "Are you alright?"

She recoiled slightly, hiding one of her hands from me. "I'm fine."

Realization hit me.

Merlin, I hate that woman.

I flipped my wrist over, offering her my hand.

"Are you sure everything is alright?" My eyebrows knit together.

She peeled her eyes off my wrist to look me in the eyes, her eyes filling with tears.

"Well, uhm..." She started, giving me her hand. "I had detention."

I looked at her hand, scrawled across the back of it was Students will raise their hands.

"Oh, my." I shook my head, "It's okay. Lots of us have them, it's not your fault."

She started to sob quietly and I did my best to comfort her.

"Shh, it's ok." I whispered, rubbing her back slightly, "It's not your fault."

I heard the loud clicking of heels behind me, stopping right behind my back.

"On the contrary, Miss Fawley." Her horrible voice rung out, just out of eye sight. "Naughty children need to be punished."

I stood up, looking down at her slightly. "With all due respect Professor, this hardly seems like an appropriate punishment."

"The ministry of Magic insists that I enforce discipline how ever I see fit." I opened my mouth to argue, "Now, I suggest you both head off to the common rooms."

"C'mon." I shook my head, leading the girl away.

I walked her to the Hufflepuff entrance and bid her goodnight before heading towards the Gryffindor common room, where I was supposed to meet Hermione 20 minutes ago.

She was sitting on the stairs and jumped up when she saw me coming.

She gave the fat lady the password and waited for me to join her.

"I swear to Merlin, 'Mione, I hate that bloody woman." I complained loudly, walking into the common room.

"Let me guess." She sighed.

"You know who I'm talking about." I grumbled, falling back into the couch next to Harry.

He shifted uncomfortably, inching away from me.