speechless

When Frank proposed to Alice in the beginning of March, a May wedding seemed so far away

But then, in a whir of birthdays and work shifts and baby preparations and house closings, I found myself seated around our kitchen counter with the girls as our second Wedding-Breakfast-Cake baked in the oven.

The boys had been sent off to Frank's for the evening, leaving us alone in our flat.

"When was the last time we had a sleepover?" Dorcas asked, dumping a fresh bag of microwavable popcorn into a bowl and turning to put in a new one.

"Too long ago," Lily said from the living room. She had her bowl resting on top of her ever growing stomach as she flipped through channels.

"It was when Sirius bought that Muggle karaoke machine," Marlene answered. "You lot came to hide at Dorcas's for three days."

"Merlin, I forgot about that," I laughed. "They were terrible."

"Syd, you were right up there with them," said Alice.

"Was I?" I asked with mock obliviousness. "I don't recall."

The microwave went off and Dorcas pulled out the last bag, pouring the popcorn into a bowl for herself as she and I walked over to join our friends in the living room.

"Why don't you pick something, Al," Lily huffed, growing tired of channel surfing and forcing herself upwards to hand off the remote. "It's your special day, after all."

"Are you excited?" Dorcas asked, flopping down beside Marlene and I and lifting up her bowl so Marls could toss her legs into Dorcas's lap.

"Yeah," Alice answered with a shy smile. "And a bit nervous."

"I was nervous too," Lily nodded. "But once you're up there it's all about you and him, everything else just kinda fades away."

"And it's Frank," Marlene said. "You two are perfect for each other."

We all turned to gape at the blonde, who had had a large sore where Frank was concerned ever since he kissed another girl in fifth year while dating Alice.

"Oh, don't look at me like that," she groaned, throwing her popcorn at all of us. "I like Frank!"

"Really?" Alice asked doubtfully.

"Yes! He's actually kinda funny when you sit close enough to hear the remarks he makes under his breath."

I laughed as I thought back to Easter when Frank had said "I'm fucking Jewish" in response to James's overzealous schedule.

"Plus he's a total badass," said Dorcas. "You two are literally the most well respected Aurors of our age."

"Not even just our age," Lily interjected. "You're high up by any standards."