Nerve

"Show me wax on, wax off."

You watched as Daniel orchestrated the moves. The cycle continued to repeat with each movement until Mr. Miyagi was confident in what Daniel was learning.

Soon enough, he began launching the flying fists and kicks. Daniel blocked each and every one of them, his jaw was practically on the floor.

"Woah."

You smiled from your place on the grass in Mr. Miyagi's yard. Daniel began fidgeting with his hands, not knowing what to do next. When Mr. Miyagi bowed, Daniel followed his lead. He looked to the ground, causing you to shout.

"Look in his eyes Daniel! Always look in the eyes."

Mr. Miyagi grinned toward you, and you returned the gesture.

They rose from their bow, and Daniel remained speechless. You approached them silently.

"So..." Daniel smiled, "you've been teaching me karate the past couple nights?"

"Hai."

Daniel's smile grew contagious.

"That... is so... epic!"

You laughed and pulled him into a hug. He almost immediately pushed you out of his embrace and got into a fighting position.

"Spar me!"

You rolled your eyes. "Don't get too big of a head now."

"Oh come on," he laughed, "let me show you how it's done."

Grinning, you lowered yourself into a fighting stance. "Alright, bring it on."

Although Daniel had learned the same moves you had, you had been practicing them a little longer. So when he went to throw a punch, you were already five steps ahead. You "painted the fence" and grabbed his arm, hoisting him over your shoulder and onto the wooden platform. He groaned in pain.

"Alright," he coughed, "you win."
•••
The next time you arrived at school, Daniel was talking your ear off with a new found form of confidence. When you tapped him on the shoulder at his locker, he beamed.

"Hey!" He exclaimed.

"Any run in with the Cobras yet?"

Daniel looked around. "No, not yet."

He shut his locker and you both began to walk toward the sidewalk together. You noticed him smiling a little more then usual.

"Okay," you said giddily, "what are you up to?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You do! And you're gonna tell me."

"Alright. Fine," he rolled his eyes playfully, "you got me. I'm finally going to ask Ali out on a date."

Your jaw dropped. "It took you long enough!" You laughed.

"Stop it!" He swatted at you.

"Daniel, it's been weeks since you said that the first time!"

He shook his head with a smile. "I'm doing it this time. I really am."

As you continued chatting in route to class, you saw a group of angry serpents approaching in the distance. Johnny was still sporting a black eye, Tommy wore a sling. Under the lights of the dojo, it was hard to see, but in the sunlight, you saw just how much damage was actually caused that night of the dance.

Your thoughts and voice became distant. "There they are..."

"What?" Daniel turned and followed your eyes, "alright watch this."