Chapter 8. Shower thoughts [Caleb]

M is like an insatiable beast. One with an unquenchable appetite.

For the entire one day that M's been living with us, the only thing that I've really been learning so far is that his stomach is a black hole. Void of a bottom.

There's no end to his hunger. And the fridge is getting emptier and fast.

It's only now turning nighttime. The pastel sky. Letting its last set of rays shine before complete darkness once again. At this pace, I'll have to go grocery shopping earlier than usual.

I'm leading M to the bathroom.

Getting Lucy off of him had shown to be more difficult than I expect.

She's been on him non-stop about his angel business. Although the disappointment shows on her face with what little progress we've made with his memories.

I got her to take a break. To focus on her homework that is due on Monday while I help M with a much-needed shower.

I glance back at M.

His head is bowing down. Bare feet, dragging along the floor. White wings, moving along.

He's still shirtless, only in his brownish trousers.

He looks a lot better than when I first found him. Less dirty and bloody. Thanks to the magic of some damp towels. Although, I think a hot and nice shower can do him some good.

Thinking about it. I might need one too. Badly. I smell like a regular inhabitant of the sewer. It's a wonder I haven't been hearing any complaints from Lucy.

We reach the bathroom.

I go over to the shower and drag the curtains to the side.

I adjust the showerhead above.

M is a lot taller than me, and I don't think another hit to the head is the healthiest thing. It certainly won't help him with the memory problem.

I show him how turning the valve starts the shower. It pipes, and a second later, water streams out.

I put my hand under the streaming water. Feeling the temperature as the water slowly heats up. I deem it good enough.

When I turn around. M is standing in the doorway stiffly.

I cough to get his attention and point to the cabinet under the sink.

"Clean towels are in there. I'll try and find you some clothes. In the meantime, just try and clean up a bit." I say.

Before I forget, I take out some shampoo and a bar of soap too.

"This is for your hair if you want to try it. It cleans out the dirt. And the soap is for the rest of your body." I place them in the holder on the wall.

He nods in reply, cocking his head a bit.

"All good," I ask.

He nods in reply.

The next thing I know. M's trousers are already pooling at his feet.

He's standing there in all his splendor. Naked as the day he was born.

I choke on my own spit.

My hand instinctively goes up to cover my eyes.

I can already feel the heat in my cheeks, turning them red.

"Oh," He says, noticing my distress. "Is this not alright?"

"No!" I force out uneasily. "I mean, yes!" It comes out louder than I want it to be. And I can't help but cringe.