Chapter 5

I looked up at the tap on my shoulder. Through my bleary eyes, I saw the human hold out a packet of tissues.

"Here, hun. Thought you might want these."

I whispered through a raw throat, "Thank you." I also tried to smile at the woman, but my lip trembled too badly to hold it.

Giving my arm a comforting squeeze, she said, "Hang in there. You'll get through this."

I nodded and she began to walk away.

I won't.

It took several tissues to clear my sinuses, but eventually I could breathe through my nose again. I let them sit on the seat next to me – I'd clean them up later.

Glancing over at my phone, I saw a dozen missed calls and as many voicemails. I deleted them all. If he wanted to talk he'd have to-

*ping*

The notification popped up on the screen.

He texted me?

I'm surprised the ancient bastard knows how to text.

Opening it, I read:

"Where are you?"

What a charmer.

I typed: "Stop calling me."

His reply appeared a moment later. "Just tell me where you are."

"Leave me alone."

"I can't. You know that."

My heart twisted, and I grimaced. "I'm rejecting you – don't you get it?"

"It doesn't work like that, love."

"Don't call me that."

"Then what do you want me to call you?"

"I don't."

I turned off the phone and stuffed it in my purse. Over the loudspeakers, a voice announced, "Next stop: Baltimore."

I gathered my trash and started down the train toward the car I'd entered through.

When that door opened, I was going to be the first one out.

Inside the station, gigantic glass sections in the ceiling let in the bright afternoon sun. I raced through it as fast as I dared, knowing every sound, every moment could spell my doom.

And yet, I didn't register the smell of a lycan as it approached me.

"Hey!"

Pivoting, my heart leapt into my throat.

The woman recoiled at my surprise.

My sight was the first sense to recognize that she wasn't a threat, but that didn't stop my pulse from thundering in my ears,

Her brow furrowed, and I heard the concern in her voice as she asked, "Hey, are you okay?"

"No," I answered honestly.

Her quick, kind eyes studied me, and I watched her arrive at a decision. "Alright, you're coming with me."

"What?"

"You're in trouble- I can smell it on you. Come on."

What choice did I have?

I followed her.

"So you stole his car?"

I nodded, breathing in the tea's jasmine scented steam.

Jessica blinked, "Damn."

"I also stole about a thousand dollars out of his wallet."

Her jaw dropped. "Who walks around with a thousand dollars in cash?"

"Right!?" I cried.

Her mate, Tori, called out from the kitchen. "What kind of old are we talking here?"

"Like, 'old enough to be my dad' old."

She walked in with a bowl of cut fruit, placing it on the coffee table. "Hmm. Gonna need more information."

I took a wedge of pineapple, popping it in my mouth. "What?"

"Well, is he 'beer gut and balding' old or 'silver fox' old? There's a big difference."

Jessica narrowed her eyes, "Got something to tell me babe?"

Tori grinned, "Yeah, you're cute when you're jealous."

I thought back to first time I'd laid eyes on him. He'd been standing on Alpha Caroline's front porch, whiskey tumbler in hand, speaking with one of his people.

He hadn't been balding.

He sure as hell hadn't had a beer gut.

Zoning back into the conversation, I heard Jessica tease, "I had no idea you were into daddies!"

Tori smiled, "'Fox' is gender neutral." She reached over and ruffled her mate's bleached blonde pixie cut. "You are going to be so fucking hot when you go grey."

The tension between them sizzled, and I cleared my throat lest they forget they had a guest.

Jessica broke eye contact and looked over. "Right. Well, you're welcome to stay here until you figure out your next move."

I felt my throat clench with emotion. "Thank you- "

"Hey," Tori pointed at me accusingly, "No crying. You're banned from crying until your eyes de-puff."

I laughed, voice husky.

Jessica looked me over. "Tell you what – we were planning on heading down to Fells Point to meet some friends later. Why don't you take a nap in the office, and then we'll all go together?"

Intercepting the heated look Tori shot Jessica, I agreed and said my goodbyes, taking my tea and making my way back to the second bedroom that they'd set up as a home office. Inside, the black sofa folded flat to become a full-sized bed. I piled the pillows on one end and wrapped the microfiber throw around me. In the distance, I heard giggles and sighs as I fell asleep.