xlvii. i barter with a goddess and an immortal huntress

chapter forty-seven

─── i barter with a goddess and an immortal huntress

          𝕸ost people thought, as a twenty year old demigod, nothing really shocked me any more and I had a lot of life experience. They weren't entirely wrong.

I had known my father was a god since I was very young, my mother was ill, I'd been on the run since I was seven, I'd watched Thalia die at fourteen, I'd failed my quest at sixteen, I'd almost joined Kronos at eighteen and Thalia had then been resurrected when I was nineteen. All in all, you would think that nothing would shake me.

However, watching Andromeda and Annabeth, two of the people closest to me, fall off a cliff was worse than anything I'd seen before. Worse that being bitten by a dragon and having to live with the scars.  Maybe, to the others, I looked like a picture of calm, but I was a mess underneath it all.

Grover was grovelling to the right of me, whilst Thalia was glaring down some Huntresses and the two di Angelo siblings looked extremely out of place.

"Thank you, Lady Artemis! You're so...you're so...Wow!"

"Get up, goat boy!" Thalia snapped. "We have other things to worry about. Annabeth is gone!"

"Whoa," Bianca di Angelo said. "Hold up. Time out." Everybody looked at her. She pointed her finger at all of us in turn, like she was trying to connect the dots. "Who... who are you people?"

Artemis's expression softened. "It might be a better question, my dear girl, to ask who are you! Who are your parents?"

"They're unclaimed," I cut in, turning my head away from them so that Artemis and Zoe could hear me. "Grover found them, called us in. Andi and I were only there to supervise but, as you can see, things took a little turn. They don't know yet, so I need to get them back to camp first."

"I see," Artemis muttered as Zoe nodded.

"Look, our parents are dead," Bianca said. "We're orphans. There's a bank trust that pays for our school, but..." She faltered. I guess she could tell from our faces that we didn't believe her. "What?" she demanded. "I'm telling the truth."

"You are a half-blood," Zoe Nightshade said and I prayed that she'd be gentle when breaking the news. "One of thy parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian."

"So, we're telling them now, I see," I muttered.

"An Olympian...athlete?"

"No," Zoe said. "One of the gods."