Chapter Eighteen

It was the final lesson of the day, and I was sitting in my Biology classroom growing increasingly impatient. I was fidgeting, tapping my fingernails across the hard, plastic table top and nudging my foot against it’s legs. Beth was sitting besides me, and kept glancing over when she saw me moving restlessly out of the corner of her eye. 

   “What’s wrong?” She smiled, continuing to write and look down at the questions we were doing. I bit my pen lid off and held it between my teeth for a little while, humming, before clicking it back onto it’s end, jotting down some notes on the next question. 

   “I’m just excited, that’s all,” I grinned to myself, and noticed my teacher, who was sitting on the other side of the table, eyeing me curiously. Our Science class contained only six people, but some were away on a trip for a different subject. We loved these lessons because we got away with doing very little work; our teacher was young and liked to chat as much as we did. 

   “Why? What’s happening?” Miss Coe wondered, watching me do my working out, waiting for me to make a mistake which would lead to the wrong answer. I started punching numbers into my calculator before arriving at the final number, scrawling down all of the digits before simplifying it down to three significant figures. 

   “I’m going to pick my boyfriend up from the airport,” I said meekly, trying to contain my excitement by biting on my bottom lip. 

   “Ooh,” Sacha cooed suggestively, wolf whistling; I began to blush. 

   “Oh is this that Hollywood guy?” Miss Coe spoke uncertainly. 

   “Christopher Ainsworth, Miss Coe,” Beth corrected her, “you really should know that.” 

   “I’m sorry,” she giggled, “I don’t know about these things.” 

   “You know who he is though, right?” Sacha checked, but Miss Coe just grimaced in response. “You know what he looks like?” She persisted, but our teacher just shook her head regretfully, twitching her mouth to one side. 

   “We’ve got to look him up now!” Beth exclaimed, jumping from her seat and going to the computer in the corner of the room. Sacha stood up on her chair and stretched up, turning on the projector so that the image on Beth’s computer lit up on the whiteboard. 

   “Guys,” I moaned, my cheeks turning even more red. 

   “I’ll just google him! Miss Coe should know the celebrity one of her students is dating.”

   “I’m surprised someone else hasn’t shown her before, everyone talks about him enough,” I rolled my eyes and Sacha nodded in agreement. 

   That was the odd thing about still being at college, the fact that everyone who knew me before, between the time I joined the school when I was twelve and went into the upper sixth, suddenly treated me differently, just because I had a famous boyfriend. Whenever I walked past a group of lower school students, they would always start talking about me, and they didn’t aways say such nice things. 

   Beth was typing quickly, inputting Kit’s name into the search engine. The number of times I had been forced to experience this, watching my friends try to find the best photo of my boyfriend, or the creepiest blog, or the strangest fan fictions written about him. The screen was illuminated with tens of photos of his face, at premieres and film sets and screen shots from some of his movies. 

   “Oh I recognize him!” Miss Coe exclaimed, “A Crippling Blow, right?” 

   “I didn’t take you for a A Crippling Blow fan,” I laughed.