I love her like my wife

"Hey welcome, we haven't seen you in forever." Dixie said hugging Madison and then Nick. She was happy this was happening. She needed something like this. A time to catch up with old friends, talk about a memory she was fond of.

"Hey we missed you guys, i love the new place." Madison started placing the container she had brought on the kitchen counter admiring the few ways in which the couple had decorated their new acquired space.

"Hey man you liking this life." Nick said dabbing him up in respect.

"So much." He said in response.

"I brought the pasta you made the last time we were over. It was really good I thought we could have it and catch up."

"I think that's a great idea." Noah answered as Madison started taking out the many items she had brought.

"I'm so happy we're doing this, I haven't been able to talk to may people, with work and everything i've been really busy."

"yea." Nick says under his breath

"rly busy."

It was one of those comments everyone heard but decided out of spite to not give it attention.

For the next 4 hours the couples talked about everything, from their thoughts about a newly watched tv show to the unpleasant feelings they have about their coworkers.

"We should make hot chocolate." Madison suggests as she picks up the plates they had used.

"we don't have any milk." Dixie says as if on cue.

"i can go get some." Noah answered looking at Dixie with kind eyes.

she smiled at him in respond and his glacé turned to Nick as if to indicate something without speaking.

"You wanna join me?" Noah asked hoping for his right answer.

"Yeah sure man- it doesn't take two people to get milk thou-" Noah gave him a "shut up and get in the car" stare and Nick got up, muting@0 his mouth in the process.

——— 5 minutes later
"So you gonna tell me what that was about?"

"what do you mean?" Noah looked down knowing what Nick was referring to.
mmm
"I mean you've never been that excited to pick up milk so, what gives?"

"uh-"

Noah didn't answer him, instead started his drive to the store.

"Dude really we're playing this game?"

"Sorry i just-"

"what."

"i love Dixie."

"well no shit."

"no i- i like LOVE her."

"ok-"

"and i want to-"

"dude r u serious." Nick knew what Noah was gonna say before he did it. He knew by the way Noah looked down at his feet, or the way he smiled as he spoke. This conversation was making him happy. She makes him happy.

"i want to propose." Noah says quietly allowing his words to wall as they leave his lips.

"we live together, we have cali so we're basically a family, we already act like a married couple and i love her like my wife. What's the harm in making it official?"

Noah looks at Nick now his eyes soft searching for an answer to his question.

"nothing." Nick answers and Noah smilies,".

"Nothing is wrong with making it official, in fact i was thinking about doing the same for Madison and I."

"Wait really-"

"Yeah but things have been complicated with us lately and i think it would only make things worse.

Nick digs in his pocket for a second and pulls out a small box. Noah knows what it is.

"I don't think i'll be needing this as much as you." Nick said gesturing for him to take it.
"Nick I-" "You and Dixie are perfect for each other, you compliment each other's personalities without being overbearing and you allow emotion and infatuation to fill the air around you. I envy your love for her and i'm so happy you two found each other. You deserve this Noah and god knows she does too."

"Yes but i can't take your ring how much did this cost you."

"it doesn't matter, go get your girl."

Noah smiled, how did he get a friend as amazing as Nick. How could he ever thank me.

"i want to be your best man." Nick winks as Noah starts the car.

"That's how you can thank me."