Coco (preview)

Here are three chapters from Coco, which is now available on my profile, enjoy!

Book 1: Water

"I'm going to die out here, aren't I?" I ask no one in particular. I'm alone, and quite a ways away from civilization.

3.

That how many days I've been out here.

What's going on here, you're probably wondering? Well, I've managed to drift out to sea on this piece of iceberg, and I am freezing to death. I don't know where I am or how close I am to land at this point, but I haven't had anything to eat in the past two days, and I'm starving! For years I have been traveling by myself because I don't have a home anymore, and this is my reality now; constantly on the move not knowing where I'm going. I know, sad.

Looks like this is the end, tummy! I think to myself.

Let me start from the beginning. Hi, my name is Kimi, but you can call me Coco. My father gave me that nickname because when I was little I was always in trouble for stealing the chocolate from our pantry, and my mother said when my grandma was alive, she'd call me her little coco skinned baby. I have shoulder legnth curly hair and brownish eyes. I mean, I think they're brown. Not to !any mirrors out here, especially in the middle of the ocean. Yep, not really much and it me, short hair, light brown eyes, no home, cool.

I was born in the Fire Nation. And no, not the fancy rich part that people love to talk about. And as of right now, and as long as I can remember, the world is at war, and it has been for a hundred years. My father use to tell me stories of when he was a little boy and how him and his family were always on the move searching for better living conditions for him and his siblings.

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmomy. Then, everything changed when The Fire Nation attacked. Only The Avatar, master of all four elements can stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished. The next Avatar was to be born an Air Nomad, so The Firelord wiped out The Air Nations. Though hope has left the lives of many, I still believe that one day, he'll come back and restore peace and balance to the world.

My home life in the Fire Nation was definitely affected by the war, but the people who surrounded me made it the most memorable. Sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a not so good way. At times I was picked on by my classmates which isn't a big deal. Kids will be kids. But I was also judged by my elders because I don't look like or act like your "average Fire Nation citizen." I wasn't "prissy" or "classy" like we're taught to ne, and they said I was strange. Always daydreaming. I am the complete opposite of everything your Fire Nation child is expected to be. I think it would've been different if I actually went to a school in the lower ring, but my parents managed to get me into a school in the middle class. It was nice and taught me a lot, but the people there were awful to me. The higher the class the more judgemental and materialistic, that's what I've noticed. What a lot of people don't realize is, it's not just the world vs. the Fire Nation, really it's the world including Fire Nation that isn't royalty or higher class vs The Firelord and his minions.  We suffer under the terrible rule of Ozai too.

School was definitely responsible for a lot of my memories, but I stopped going around two, maybe three years ago. Though I still have a knack for learning new things. My mom use to say I can be very clever and intelligent when I want.

My mom and I left the Fire Nation and my father behind when my older brother Li didn't come back after he was ordered to fight in the war. My mom and I traveled together living from village to village to eventually settling off the grid. She taught me as much as she could. I didn't physically go to school, but she kept my studies going once we left. That is, until one day... I woke up and she was just gone. It didn't happen exactly like that, but that's pretty much the jist of it. I've had dreams that I think are flashbacks of when she left, or messages she's trying to send me, but I don't know. I've searched and searched and searched, but I still haven't found her. Last time I saw her, I was 13 years old. Almost 3 years later, and I still don't know where she is.