37 | exhibition

THIRTY-SEVEN. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

the day everyone has been waiting for has finally arrived— the fifth of january.

the entirety of japan were on their toes as they gritted their teeth in anticipation at the results that the one week spring inter-high tournament would bring.

the japan national youth women's basketball team already left their stations, all geared up for the exhibition game they'd have to play in order to officially open this tournament. and as agreed upon, their captain wasn't with them.

in fact, the girl was simply drinking iced coffee inside a small café around the corner of the huge gymnasium where the tournament would take place.

her team had left her at the hotel a few hours ago, roughly around seven. it was already thirty-six minutes past ten in the morning right now.

she was just waiting for their exhibition game to conclude before she went there— simply because this was the coach's instructions. she estimated it would only be at least thirty more minutes until the game would end.

"is this seat taken?"

the girl was startled when somebody suddenly spoke up. she looked up to see someone she hadn't expected to see in a café at this hour.

"suna-san..?" she had regarded him with a questioning look on her face. she then noted his question and motioned for him to take a seat adjacent to her. "oh, feel free to sit down."

the boy who was currently wearing his team jersey underneath his maroon colored tracksuit chuckled. "didn't think i'd see ya' 'ere."

she sipped on her pure black iced coffee— no sugar— and then glanced out the window where she had a clear view of the spring nationals' gym.

"i didn't think i'd see you here either." she casually retorted, looking back at him. "why are you here? aren't you supposed to be in the gym with 'tsum and the others?"

suna's face visibly soured at the mention of the boyfriend's name, but this came unnoticed by the girl. "ah, kita-san sent me out ta' eat breakfast since i missed it when we had ta' come 'ere so early."

the girl nodded in understanding and glanced at his food— an all american breakfast. kind of like the meal she had just minutes ago.

"how 'bout ya'? i saw ye'r team at the gym. ya' got an exhibition game, right?" he noted, looking at the girl.

"yes." she gave him a side glance as she sipped on her coffee.

"shouldn't you be there?" he asked.

"no. they don't need me there." she nonchalantly shrugged it off.