1

The hallways of the fortress at night was one of your favourite things. The idea of such a large building that's corridors bustled with people and activity during the day being so abandoned and peaceful during the night always interested you.

Your heeled leather boots made a thud that echoed across the halls as they hit the nether brick floor. The heat of the air seemed to decline during the night, making you slightly uncomfortable. The lake of lava that rested beneath the fortress illuminated the walls of the mountain, accentuating every indent and crack with deep shadows.

Along your walk through the building, you came across the large bridge that connected the two west towers. Part of you knew the air was going to be damp from the wind coming in from the east warped forests but you couldn't help yourself.

You would often spend your free time on this bridge, imagining a life beyond the fortress, no longer being confined to the training room where you were forced to train the new army men. You were never disturbed up here - this bridge was only to be used by the upper class of the building meaning only a few people had access. That's what made it so nice; it was peaceful, one of the only places in the fortress you could truly getaway.

You spun around to look at the other side of the view, looking towards the land opposite you. Another feature of the bridge you enjoyed; the gorgeous view of the valley that stood before you with its large netherrack hills and the molten river that flew through it.

You paced along the bridge, knowing that sooner or later the day would come and work will have to begin. With a heavy sigh, you made your way back into the property towards your quarters. The walk was a short, brisk one for you had already made a lap around the entire premises and were about to start your next.

Your room consisted of dark green walls with chests scattered around. A great fireplace stood in the center of the main wall with your bed tucked into a corner. A window that rose from floor to ceiling sat in a wall, leaving you with a view of the lava lake. On the ceiling was a glorious chandelier with at least a hundred candles that were lit by the royal servants.

You went to sleep that night thinking tomorrow would be another regular day training the soldiers.....

But boy were you wrong.