Chapter 18

There stood Britney at the reception desk, wearing a skimpy outfit that definitely wasn't appropriate for work at all. I looked urgently at Erick wondering what was going on and he just have me a look which said, 'I'll explain later."

I wonder why she was there. If she worked there then that would not be good. I wasn't angry at her, just alerted at why she stood at the reception. She threw a nasty glance at me and started flirting with Erick. I was staring at them when Erick suddenly pulled me inside his office.

I didn't meet his eyes and just looked at the floor instead. I wanted him to explain but he didn't owe me anything. I nervously played with my hands to calm myself down. He explained that her father was a huge investor in his company and he forced Erick to have Britney as his receptionist.

It did make sense but I was still wary of her. He tried his best to assure me and then gave me a tour of his company. After the tour, he directed me to the work desk and handed me the work for that day. It was mostly easy and whenever I had a doubt, he helped me with it.

3 MONTHS LATER

Everything had been going great so far. I had settled well within Erick's company. The work wasn't too tough and everyone was really welcoming...with the exception of Britney of course who did everything in her power to make my life miserable. My mental health was in a much better space. I even started going to therapy to deal with my PTSD and anxiety.

Erick had officially asked me to be his girlfriend two months ago and we started dating. These two months had been the best of my entire life. He always made me feel..special.

As if I was the most important person in his life. I had also faced the courts with everyone doing their best to support me and we had won the case. High school had ended and I was planning to go to college soon.

I hadn't chosen any college yet but I would probably be choosing one which was near Erick. He slowly but surely became the person I depended upon the most and there couldn't be a better person than him.

Blair had started dating Nica. It came as a shock to me too but I supported her as they made each other happy and that's what mattered the most.

Today was a special day as it was Erick's birthday and Caleb, Blair and the whole squad except Britney had planned a surprise for him. I wasn't even sure if she was still in the squad. There was also a minor change in my housing situation...I started living with Erick. Yes, it was strange and new for me but it had been amazing so far.

One of the best things was that Erick usually cooked dinner and he cooked delicious food so that was a win for me. I had woken a little early today as I decided to surprise him with breakfast in bed. I made avocado toast and butterscotch milkshake as he was just as obsessed with it as I was, if not more.

I had brought in the food on a tray and laid it down on the bedside table. I had looked over at him and saw him snoring lightly.

I almost laughed at his adorable snores. That's why I loved him so much. WAIT. What?? Did I just admit to myself that I loved him?? The more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

The way I got lost in his eyes, the way his gaze made me flustered, the fact that I smiled more in these two months than my whole life, the way he supported her every decision. Yes. I was in love with Erick. I was in love with him!! I squealed internally and did a happy dance.

Wait. When should I tell him? What if he didn't reciprocate the same feelings? I nervously bit my nails trying to find a way out of my dilemma. After thinking about it for a long time I decided to tell him later at the surprise party we planned for him.

Currently, everyone was waiting for Erick to show up. He was 20minutes late and everyone was starting to get worried.

"Could you try calling him again?" I asked Caleb worriedly.

"It isn't going through Athena. Maybe he's just stuck in traffic?" he answered hopefully.

It calmed me down a little but not a lot. What if something a lot worse had happened...? I shook these thoughts out of my head and tried to be optimistic. Suddenly Caleb got a call on his phone and as he listened to it his fave paled. "Is it Erick??" I asked but got no reply.

Blair rubbed my shoulders to calm my nerves while we waited for Caleb to speak up.

"He-He's in the hospital and about to go in for surgery. His car got hit in a car accident and that was the hospital calling" His lips quivered and tears had sprung up in his eyes.

No. No. No.
"No-Tell me you are lying, please-" I begged him to tell me it was a joke but he never did. We all got in the car breaking all speed limits. Everyone spoke around me but the same sentence kept repeating over in my head.

He's in the hospital. He's in the hospital. He got hit by a car.

The maps showed it would take 5 more minutes to reach the hospital. Everyone held their breath as if scared to make a sound. We finally pulled up and ran into the hospital. The doctors told us that Erick was already in surgery and we were late. He'll be fine, I repeated it in my head to make it seem true.

I cried all night sitting on the hospital bench. Caleb took care of the press and asked me if I was hungry but I just shrugged. I don't think anyone had any appetite left.

I kept thinking about Erick. What if he didn't survive...What if I lost him? That thought made my chest hurt and a sea of sadness take over me. If I lost him I would lose my best friend, my soulmate, my boyfriend.

I would lose the person who made me realize my worth. I would lose the person who helped me realize who I am. I would lose myself. I remember the night he promised me that he would always keep me safe, even though he was drunk that night, he always kept me safe.

But today I was losing the person I should have kept safe. All our memories repeated on a loop in my head. The time we danced in the rain, the time he wore butterscotch perfume because I was obsessed with it, the time he cooked food for me, all the times he supported me.

I wish I had told him I loved him earlier. If only we got here 5minutes earlier if only we had 5 more minutes. The thought that he could just disappear and leave me made me bawl my eyes out.

12HOURS LATER

The doctor finally came out with the results. They all wore a solemn expression on their faces.

"I am so sorry for your loss miss. Erick Gray has been officially pronounced dead this morning at 7:01 am." the doctor said.

No. No. No. He's alive, right?? They were all lying to me. Why me? Why him?? He couldn't be dead. No. no. It's a lie, they are lying. Trying to fool me. I wiped my tears and looked at their faces. There was no mistaking.

Erick was dead.

'I remember every world you told me. I can't stop thinking about it.'

A/N- I KNOW I KNOW. I am sorry for doing this but in my defense I warned everyone. This is oficially the last chapter of this book. Wow.

Should I write an epilogue?? Yes or no? I am more towards no because I want the readers to imagine the future to hold whatever they want.

What should I write next?? Don't say sequel please. I am not writing a sequel.

I think that's all and there will probably be an Author's note in the next chapter I publish so lookout for that. Thankyou very much for everything<3