CHAPTER 4: ARRIVAL IN KASTALI DUN

Dragonfire Sea

Tamara watched the coast sail by from the prow of the Sea Lion. True to King Talon's word, ships had been waiting along Celenore's cost north of the Scattered Islands, ready to sail them the remaining distance to Kastali Dun. There, they would be absorbed—albeit temporarily—by Fort Kastali.

At the height of the Drengr Monarchy, the forts would not have had room, but the Drengr race was dying. Dying for what Queen Isabella had done with her trickery. Dying because each pair could only have one child, unless they were blessed with twins, and that was extremely rare.

The thought of twins had Tamara's eyes pricking with tears, reminded of Lord Davi and Lord Reyr, and the great loss that followed them like a dark cloud, chasing after their small fleet. And what a beautiful sight that little fleet was to behold, twelve ships cutting through the water. There wasn't enough space to house both the Drengr and all of Fort Squall's staff, so nearly half of the Drengr flew overhead. Most often with their Riders. And when they needed to stop for the night, they either slept on deck under the stars, or flew to the coast and caught up the following day.

The Sea Lion cut through the water at speeds the walking peoples of Fort Squall would never match. And thank the gods for that, or else they would have been on foot another three weeks at least. This faster mode was worth the initial sea-sickness that accompanied it.

They were due to arrive in Kastali Dun by nightfall. Nightfall! A nervous excitement had settled over everyone, but none more so than Tamara. She couldn't wait to behold the Great Keep of Kastali Dun. To see the city on the rise. To look over its vast ports. Explore its markets. There was a whole world of possibility waiting. It was simply a shame, knowing the price that such a possibility had demanded.

She searched the skies, taking in the small glittering forms high above.

"I'm here, love." Byron sent the thought, knowing that it was his form she sought. A projection followed, from high up, accompanied by his joy of flying. A smile tugged at her lips. "I can come get you, if you'd like?"

She shook her head. The fort's staff didn't have the luxury of leaving the ships, and if she was to be their leader, she wanted to be here with them.

"You are everything a fort leader should be." There was pride in Byron's words. He swooped low, circled the ship once, twice, three times, and then retreated back to higher altitudes.

She turned from the sky, back to the distant landscape. It had taken some getting used to, sharing Byron's mind. Sharing thoughts. Knowing what he felt if she reached for him. She hadn't been exactly sure what to expect after their bonding. But not this, exactly. Less privacy, perhaps? He never barreled into her mind if she didn't want him there. And there were places she could still keep separate from him, if she wished to. But mostly, she enjoyed giving him everything. Except, perhaps, her worry. He had enough of his own.

The ability to share thoughts over great distances made them stronger as a pair. As Fort Squall's temporary leaders, strength was something they desperately needed. Soon it would be time for a vote. She wasn't sure what the fort's wing leaders and wing seconds would decide. Wasn't sure if she was ready to lead. Part of her wanted to make Lord Davi and Lady Emmy proud. Ensure that even after their deaths, their son would take up their mantle. That he would be what they'd hoped. The other part of her feared the responsibility. Feared the sacrifices they would make. Because it wouldn't be an easy road, reclaiming their home.

At midday, she sat with Sophie and a couple other women from the fort's staff, eating a frugal meal of dried meat, bread, and cheese. Their conversation came easily, especially once the other women had grown more comfortable in her presence. She had Sophie to thank for that. Sophie with her bubbly personality got along with everyone. Sophie, who was lovely to look at.