PDA

Author's Note: We're back! Omg y'all...I finally have a path to the ending for this fic! After this chapter, I'm planning for there to be 5 more chapters until the end, which will give ID a total of 65 chapters. I'm still working on writing and editing these last chapters, but I'm pretty confident in that timeline :D I also plan to post each Friday again, so there should be chapters now through September 10th, if all goes according to plan.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

You woke with a smile the next morning, partially because of the happiness filling your chest like a balloon. The other part was because the warm body behind you, accompanied by a rasp of beard on your shoulder and soft lips on your neck, signalled that you weren't alone.

The florid orange rays coming in the large windows told you that it was still early, the sun barely risen above the horizon. Turning over onto your other side to face Negan, you took in his tousled hair and heavy-lidded gaze.

"Mornin' doll," he said, voice raspy with sleep.

"Morning," you whispered back, pressing a kiss to his irresistible mouth. "No crack-of-dawn meetings today?"

His lips quirked against yours. "Nope, thank fuck," he murmured, before rolling atop you and spending a good portion of the morning taking you apart with pleasure, then putting you back together piece by piece with cuddles and toe-curling kisses.

When he later glanced over at the clock and saw that it was almost 10am, he gave a groan and flopped onto his back with a forearm covering his eyes. "Much as I'd love to stay here all day, I gotta go with a couple Saviors to check out one of the nearby outposts. They reported some concerns about their fucking security measures, and also requested a few more men be stationed out there to help divvy up their shifts, so I wanna go see if there's any fucking issues for myself."

While you felt a tiny thrill that he was so willing to tell you this information, to let you know about his duties as leader, you also had a moment of worry about him possibly assigning more men out to work the outpost. "Is that the one you brought Simon in from a couple weeks ago?"

Knowing exactly where your thoughts were headed, he said, "Don't get your fucking panties in a bunch, doll. If the outpost needs more hands, I was planning to send a couple of my newer Saviors."

Pleased at this response, you smiled and leaned in close so your mouth was hovering mere millimeters from his, before whispering, "I'm not wearing any panties to get in a bunch."

Before he could react, you rolled out of the bed and strode to the bathroom, putting a little extra swing to your hips. The growl and unmistakable rustling sound of sheets being thrown off was your only warning before Negan scooped you up into his arms and marched into the bathroom.

An hour later and you were both sufficiently clean (after first getting extra dirty against the shower wall), and you saw Negan off from his rooms with a kiss and warning to be careful. He gave an arrogant smirk at that, which got him an eye roll and playful shake of your head as a response.

You watched as he strode down the hall towards the staircase, shoulders encased in leather and his whistle echoing off the walls. While they'd never dare ask him about it, you couldn't help but give a little smile at the thought of his men wondering why the hell their usually punctual leader was almost ten minutes late to leave for the outpost...and why he seemed so happy about it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Unable to contain your excitement over the events of the night before, you headed over to Ben's room not long after Negan left. Thankfully he was there, having just returned from finishing up serving breakfast. His roommate was out this time, so you were able to huddle across from one another on his bottom bunk and catch him up on your conversation with Negan.