009

january 20th, 2024
10:52 pm

ONE OF THE MANY THINGS that Noelani loved about Jalen was that he never wasted even the smallest opportunity to make her feel loved, wanted and appreciated

Every day the first set and the last set of words from Jalen to Noelani was an 'I love you' and he was the romantic one to initiate nights where the focus was solely on the two of them.

Noelani moved her chair closer to Jalen from where they were sitting adjacent to each other at the kitchen table, a container of chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of white wine and the bottle they had drank from set on the table in front of them.

The lights in the room were dim so that the dessert scented candles placed at the other end of table could take center stage, while the roses Jalen had given Noelani when he had come home were the centerpiece.

"Lani's gonna look just like you when she's older. Same hair color, same pretty eyes." Jalen was saying before leaned forward to give Noelani a short kiss.

"She looks more like you. You and her have this like, kissed by the sun skin tone, and she definitely has your lips." Noelani could see out of the corner of her eye that Jalen was pushing some of her sandy brown hair away from her face

Noelani laced her hand through Jalen's so they could continue their conversation, "What do you think Alani's gonna be like when she's older? You or me?"

Jalen gave her a surprised look at the question then his expression was thoughtful, "Watch she's like neither of us. Watch she turns out to be this person who loves to... I don't know, read and study or something."

Noelani snickered a little, "Would that bother you? Our kid not being athletic like we are?"

"Nah, I don't think so. Would it bother you?" Jalen asked, tugging Noelani's other hand into his so he could make as much physical contact as possible.

"I don't think so either." Noelani replied, "We're so boring. Here we are trying to be romantic and shit and all we can talk about is Alani."

"I don't know about you but I'm not boring," Jalen laughed a little, "We're parents. Why wouldn't we talk about how she's gonna be in the future?"

Noelani shrugged and then extended her fingers towards the frosty glass half filled with wine in order to take a sip, "I tend to stay glued to the present. Springing forward to the future is your thing."

"Speaking of... There's something I wanted to bring up." Jalen said, his expression turning serious, "It's been on my mind for awhile and now that it's just us and Lani number two, I wanna talk."