*Detention*

September 1st, 1991

"There you are!" Mika said, cutting her conversation with Phelipe short. "Yeah, well I ran into Clearwater..." She rolled her eyes and took a seat. "Of course you did. Ran into Weasley too then?" Mika said with a sly smile. Iris gave her a warning glare. "Yes, I did, unfortunately. Clearwater is head over heels for Percy, it's disgusting." She scrunched her nose. 

"And obvious too," Mika added while also nodding in the direction of Eric. Iris laughed, "At least she doesn't stare at her crush like starey McGee," Phelipe looked around and found Eric staring. Eric blushed bright red and turned away, but Phelipe turned the other direction out the window of the compartment are started searching for something. "What! You didn't tell me you liked someone, Eric! Who is she?" Eric seemed to sigh a relief, Mika laughed her head off, and Iris face-palmed at Phelipe's stupidity. She felt someone staring at her, so she turned around, facing the same way as Phelipe.

To her surprise, Anthony Wheeler, a Hufflepuff in her year, was looking at her as he passed by. They made eye contact, and very smoothly, he winked at her. Iris may have blushed just a bit, but it was almost unnoticeable. She smiled sweetly back at him and returned back to the room when he was out of sight. Shee would admit he was rather good-looking, and a very good quidditch player. 

"What was that?" Mika asked. The blonde's mind started working. "W-what?" Mika pointed to the window. "That sweet smile you just did. You never smile unless it's to us! You don't even smile at Weasley." Iris rolled her eyes. "Of course I smile. I smile at..." She tried to think very hard. "Harry!" She said snapping her fingers. "That's one person." Iris stuck her tongue out at her. "Well, I saw who you were smiling at. Anthony Wheeler wasn't it?" Eric said. Iris crossed her arms and stayed silent. 

"Oh! The good-looking Hufflepuff?" Mika asked excitedly. Phelipe scoffed. "I don't know about that, but he is one heck of a quidditch player." Mike and Phelipe started talking all about Wheeler. Iris sighed heavily. "Thank you, Ricky, now these 2 won't stop chatting. Don't you have a prefect meeting?" Eric snapped out of his daydream and rushed out of the compartment, obviously forgetting about the meeting.

****

Iris sat timidly at the Ravenclaw table. She was waiting for Harry to be sorted, and she was 90% sure he would get into Gryffindor. She would have liked him to be in Ravenclaw, but she wasn't exactly sure if he would fit in. "Loosen up Iris, he'll be fine," Eric said from beside her. She relaxed her shoulders. "I"m just worried, what if he gets into Slytherin?" "Not all Slytherins are evil," the prefect said. "Yeah right," Phelipe said. "Well, it's not just Slytherin, what if he doesn't find anybody that'll appreciate him for being... Harry. Not just the boy who lived or some crap." Eric would have liked to reply, but he didn't have anything to say. The ceremony started, with a new year of kids waiting behind the door. Hufflepuff got the least students followed by Ravenclaw. Slytherin got the next most with Gryffindor having the most including Harry and the last Weasley boy. From the Gryffindor table, she saw the whole table come up to him and congratulate him, but he managed to sit beside Ronald. Iris smiled at Harry who seemed happy.

****

On the first day of classes, she had potions. "Way to ruin the first day of school," Iris said bitterly on her way to the class. "At least we'll all be there," Phelipe said. But as soon as they stepped inside the room, they were split up. Iris had to sit next to Percy, who wasn't very delighted. Iris sighed and sat down beside him. "I'm pretty sure by the end of this semester, we will begin killing each other so let's just keep it calm for now," Iris said quietly. 

"Even though your assumptions are right, we haven't been in the same class since third year, Maybe it'll be different." Iris raised an eyebrow. "Then I'll make it different." Percy narrowed his eyes at her, and the class started. Snape cleared his throat and began writing on the chalkboard. No one dared to speak, for any sounds could result in detention. 

Iris groaned when she saw what he had written on the board. The peace draught was what they were going to do, and that potion was very complicated. Even with Iris's tweaks of the instructions, it was dreadful if she made a mistake. And she also had Weasley to take care of, who wasn't that good at the subject.

"As you all know, your O.W.Ls are this coming June. During which you will prove how much you have learned about the composition and use of magical potions." Snape said in a very quiet voice. "I have listed the ingredients up above, and your textbook should give you your instructions. Once you are finished, place the potion in a vial with your names on it, and leave it on my desk. I shall see just how dreadful these are later on." 

They got right to work, well Iris did. Percy and everyone else in the class started reading the instructions very carefully, but Iris just went to go get the ingredients and started her cauldron. Only looking slightly at the book. About 5 minutes later, a group of people went to go get their stuff, including Percy. He set his cauldron up very precisely and started preparing for the potion. Iris started to shed up her roots and quills into powder by using her knife. Percy watched her drop the powder in, as he struggled with getting the fine texture. 

Iris caught him looking, but instead, she passed him her knife. "Use it." She whispered. Percy looked at it funnily. "That's not what t says to do." Iris shrugged and got back to work. Halfway through class, the first explosion went off. Phelipe had accidentally put the quill in before the moonstone, creating a reaction. Phelipe now had ash all over his face and hair. Iris giggled before returning to work, while Snape scolded the boy. She was nearly done when she saw Percy putting the moonstone in 1/4 amounts.  She reached and grabbed his hands. "Stop." She said.

Percy looked at her in surprise and confusion. "What?" Iris grabbed the spoon from out of his hand and got her 1/16 measuring cup out. "You're going to mess up your potion if you do that." She replied with a firm voice. Percy re-read the instructions. "But it says 4 scoops of 1/16tsp" Iris dumped the first spoon in carefully. "Yeah, so why didn't you do that?" Iris asked. "Well, I thought I could just add it and it'll be 1/4" Iris shook her head. "That's not right. If you could shortcut it, it would say. But this potion has to be precise, so you can't just add it up. But I get where you're thinking. People who can do math are using it. Good thing I stopped you or else you would have gotten a 'Troll' grade."Iris went back to her own potion, which was just bout finished. 

From behind her, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and found Clearwater. Iris sighed. "What do you want Clearwater?" "Help me with my potion." She whispered. "No," Iris said. Clearwater gave her a small smile which scared Iris. "If you don't, I'll tell Snape you helped Percy." Iris felt trapped. She finished her potion which gave her time to think. She put her potion in a vial and took it to Snape's desk. He nodded at her, which she found a little odd, but she shrugged it off. From the back of the class, she saw Clearwater give her a 'Help me or else' signal. Iris sighed again and went back to her desk. She started clearing her space up, trying to think of ways to get out of her situation. Fortunately, it was right in front of her. She had leftover Unicorn horn, moonstone, and porcupine quill. She thought back at Phelipes explosion, then she smiled to herself. Pouring some quill and unicorn horn onto the table, she mixed it quietly making it look like she was cleaning up. She then took off the cork for the moonstone and dropped 1/4tsp onto the powder. It started bubbling. She scooped the paste up and placed it on the corner of Clearwater's desk. 

When the solution exploded, Clearwater's cauldron went flying forward. She screamed loudly, And Iris put on her fake sympathetic face. She didn't actually feel bad, besides, her potion was wrong anyway. Snape came flying over to the incident and demanded what happened. Iris quickly made up a story. "Sorry professor, I was trying to clean everything up, but I must've put the leftover ingredients together. I was turning around to go put it away, but it started bubbling and I dropped it." Snape looked at her to see whether she was lying or not. "That was foolish of you Dursley. You should know better. Clean it up, and you have earned detention. Tonight, my office." He walked away. Little did he know, it was planned. It took the rest of the class for Iris to clean it up, meaning she didn't have to help Clearwater. 

Iris avoided the brunette and rushed out of the class when it was done. Percy caught up to her, obviously confused. "I know you did it on purpose. Why did you do that to Penelope." Iris raised an eyebrow. "I'd rather get detention than help her with the potion." Percy scoffed. "I don't get why you hate her so much. You helped me." Iris nodded. "And with that, you owe me one."