Chapter Ten

The venue is an elegant ballroom, fit to hold the best parties in the city. As much as I hate social events like these, I can't deny that out of all the events, these parties are the best.

No press is allowed, other than a very prestigious company of the host's choosing.

It doesn't matter who you are here, the unspoken rule is to leave people alone and let them enjoy their evening.

No fan girls, no paparazzi and no one screaming in my face.

I love that people love me. But I do miss the simplicity of going to the store without guards or a disguise.

Everyone in attendance is dressed to the nines. The enormous room has gold trim accenting the shiny beige tiles, columns throughout the entire room, a bar across the left wall and a live orchestra to the right.

The chatting people create a hum throughout the place, accompanied by the strings and piano filling the room.

After the excitement on the way here, I'm ready for a shot to loosen me up a bit.

I'm not mad they found out my history with Josie. I had debated telling them myself.

I'm angry that Amelia decided to do it in front of everyone right before a party.

The only upside is that Josie seemed embarrassed, and any unpleasant emotion on her part is a win for me.

Dave follows me to the bar, probably ready for a drink himself. The man can hold enough alcohol to sedate a medium-sized elephant and still look sober.

"You okay?"

"Yes." I place my arms on the bar, leaning down to wait for the bartender to see us. "Thanks for checking in, man."

"That was low of Amelia. If you two didn't want to tell us, she should have respected that. I'm sure she's jealous, though. We all knew you two had something going on."

"I'm probably the one in the wrong. In my defense, I didn't know Josie was the one she'd hired until it was done."

"I get it. It's awkward for both of them, and for you. I remember how fucked up you were over her. It's got to suck having her so close now."

"Yeah."

I drop my head. Dave and I have always been real with each other, but right now, I wish that weren't the case.

I don't want to think about Josie and I, or her fucking purple gown that clings to every curve of her body. I just want to enjoy my evening.

"Well," He claps me on the back, "I'm here for you, man. Until you need me, I'll be looking for a beauty to dance with. This place feels like prom."

I quietly laugh at Dave and his stupid comment, when the bartender finally hands me my double shot of Grey Goose.

The burn of the liquid down my throat calms me down a little, and I relish in the warmth it brings to my chest almost immediately.

"Hey." Amelia waltzes up to me, an unsure grin on her face. Rightfully so. She should be nervous. "Want to dance?"

"Not with you."

"Hudson, you have to understand why I called you out. She's been working for me this whole time and I had no clue."

"I don't see how it's your business."

"It's my business because we are involved with each other!"

Her brunette curls bounce as she speaks, and her burgundy painted lips purse. She's pretty, but Josie runs circles around her. Or maybe I'm just into blondes.