NINE

"Watch out!"

Bada barely moved out of the way of a hex, her eyes wide as she sent a curse right at the person who had attacked her, the spell casted without thought, pure instinct at this point. And with her opponent down, she spared a moment to turn to Harry who was close by, the one that had warned her in the first place. She sent him a nod he returned and so they got back to fighting.

Today was more like one of the usual days aurors were supposed to have, filled with dueling. Ever since Bada had gotten in the office, she had received a message from Vance so she would be sent to a rather remote village in Scotland where wizards were wrecking havoc, the Obliviators in tow. The moment she and her team had returned, they had been asked to move to another place to fulfill the same duty, and then they were asked to do it once more.

This was the last place they had been asked to go to and so far, it seemed to be the most draining. The team hadn't done much other than fight all day and it was starting to tire them out, as they had had no time to spare for anything but moving from location to location to protect the citizens. And now, after such a day, they were starting to get reckless.

Theodore and Draco had soon enough moved to one place, battling two wizards, while Ron was dueling a few ways away with a witch. Harry and Bada were close by, although both of them had their own opponents, with Bada having just finished off her own.

A few ways away, Harry hid behind a short wall, his eyes wide as he attempted to catch his breath, but the barrage of curses his opponent sent him didn't lessen. Bada gritted her teath, ignored her own discomfort and started sending curses to Harry's opponent. She sent stunning spell after stunning spell and when she realized that wasn't working, she cast a shield charm.

She grunted at the power the spell he sent her had, her gaze falling on Harry standing behind the wall, watching her in slight worry. She managed to muster a nod and a small smile.

"Go help Ron. I got this."

Harry waited for another moment, his gaze expectant and imploring, as if he expected her to change her mind any moment now and ask him to aid her. But she didn't. And with a short yet firm nod, he turned around and rushed to Ron's side. With his departure, Bada took in a deep breath, set her jaw as her shield trembled under the curse that hit it. And then she attempted to fight back.

Curses were shot, flying rampant all around the place, hitting cars and making their sirens activate, breaking windows of houses that were close to the area, burning the grass nearby. Bada was weary and before she had realised it, she had switched to a defensive stance, having no choice but to try and hold on strong as her opponent got closer and closer, the power of each curse getting stronger and stronger the closer he got. And then it happened.

Her wand was knocked out of her hand, left to land right next to her as Bada fell from the force behind the spell, her shield unable to hold it. She thought she heard a call of her name, worry and concern blending in at the same time but she couldn't look, her gaze instead turning to the man that had come extremely close by now, his wand pointing straight at her.

She could see his hand starting to move to cast the spell that would finish her off, his lips already starting to form the incantation. Bada met his gaze. She parted her lips just slightly, her soft voice in contrast with her intense gaze. She didn't think.

"Stay still."

The man's eyes glazed over at once and he stopped mid motion, the command too great for him to resist. Bada didn't waste a moment. She reached for her wand, pointed it right at him even though she was still lying down.

"Expeliarmus."

The wand was knocked out of his hand without him having the chance to fight back and defend himself. He couldn't even move.