Part 1

This man has got to be the absolute biggest ass I have ever encountered in my entire life. If I didn't need this job, I would have done something really inappropriate. Like jump on the phone and release all of the curse words that I have locked and loaded.

I stared at my laptop screen, wishing for the person on the other end of the email to spontaneously combust.

Chill Elizabeth, think about why you're doing this. You need this job. You can't go cursing at clients just because they're giant sleazeballs.

"Miss Bennet?" Mr Knight's voice came through the intercom.

I jumped slightly at the sound before answering on my end.

"Yes, sir?"

"Fetch the McGreggor file and get Matthew Charmicheal on the line."

"Right away sir." 

I was no longer in the same office as Mr Knight. I had my own cubicle-type office just outside of his.

I collected the necessary files from the filing room before heading back to Mr Knight's door. I rapped my knuckles on the wood twice before entering. He knew I was coming, the knock is just a sort of announcement. I have learned a couple of months ago that he was not going to reply if he called for me in the first place.

Mr Knight's eyes were fixed on the computer screen in front of him and he had a few files already in neat stacks on his desk. He was nothing if not organised. Even through this busy season that the company has been in, he managed to stay level-headed and structured.

"Here you go sir," I said before placing the file on Mr Knight's desk.

Files don't just go anywhere, oh no. New files go into the filing tray on the left side of his desk, the files to the edge, right in front of him are never to be touched (he was still busy with those and had each one open at a specific place) and the files that he was no longer using, were placed in the filing tray on the right-hand side of his desk, ready for me to take back to the filing room.

"Do you have Charmicheal on the line yet?" He asked without looking at me.

"I will transfer his call through to you right away sir," I answered.

He gave a curt nod in response and I went back to my own desk before forwarding Mr Charmicheal through to Mr Knight's line.

Mr Knight was a professional and kept to his word. After Germany, nothing was ever mentioned about what happened between us. He has become even less emotional and more rigid than before. You would never be able to tell, looking at the two of us now, that there was ever feelings between us. If those were even there, to begin with. If there were any, they have since been obliterated. Nuclear bomb level destroyed. 

At first, I believed Mr Knight to have felt a great deal more than me. I only realised that I did not hate the man or the idea of his acquaintance completely. But even after what he confessed, he was able to move on as if nothing happened without blinking an eye.

I admired that kind of professionalism and unemotional approach to things. In his mind, he could probably switch it all off, what happened happened and it's in the past now. There was no reason to fret about it or the time needed to process it.

No, once we boarded the plane, William did a complete 360 and morphed back into Mr Knight.

I preferred it this way. It made things easier. There were no awkward conversations or catching the other staring. Nothing. It made it possible for us to still work together. Which was what I wanted. I realised this only after considering all of the options. 

I didn't want to work for anyone else. At least not as their PA. I have come to understand Mr Knight and we were actually not a bad fit when it came to business. It was only when feelings got involved when things got screwy. Well, that and our egos. But those could be reined in a lot easier than feelings. 

How do I know this?

We have been doing it successfully for four months now without any problems. 

I can respect him as my boss as long as he respects me as an employee. He doesn't belittle me and I don't question his business decisions. This does not mean that we tippy-toe around each,  other. No, things are stated plainly and instructions are given and performed without niceties like "please" and "thank you".

My attention was drawn back to the email that was waiting in my inbox. 

I no longer felt like cursing at the man, so proceeded to reply to his email.

Mr Archebald was a man practically twice my age and very self-important. I knew it was his equally slimy assistant that sent the email, but I knew who the true author was. If not in the actual execution but the intent. They were pushing for a meeting with Mr Knight, who had been brushing off all such attempts for weeks now.

Being his PA, I was left to deal with irritating clients like these. Although Mr Knight had no intention of doing business with the man, he was still quite powerful in the business world and I was therefore not to unnecessarily provoke him.

His presence in this world is an unnecessary provocation!

Let's just say, we had a less than stellar first meeting where Mr Archebald, bald spot and all, checked me out in a way that was not subtle in the least while he waited for Mr Knight to meet with him. I wanted to burn my whole outfit after that experience. 

He managed to rein in his revolting ogling before Mr Knight came out, but I still got the creeps every time I had to deal with him. I didn't mention any of this to Mr Knight though. I was a professional and I knew that sometimes you had to deal with sleazy guys like Mr Archebald and couldn't of about whining about every one of them.

Such is the life of Mr Knight's PA.

I couldn't leave you guys hanging for too long (I'm not that cruel).

So now we know what Elizabeth chose. 

Do you agree with her choice? Or do you think she should have taken the opportunity to work for someone else? Or something entirely different?

Oh, and what do you guys think of the new title and cover?

Thank you for reading!

I hope you will enjoy phase two of What Nobody Knew 😉

Audrey