Chapter 95: Proper Manners

Kotori went to the dress shop that was recommended by Mr. Gerard.

It was a high-class establishment that rather quiet as a result. It made sense considering the fact that it wasn't like the store had many customers to begin with.

Anybody who went to such a store would be someone with a large amount of wealth,

The moment they entered the store they were ushered into a parlor room where they were served some tea and snacks. Umi seemed to be taking notes on the movement of the maids that were serving them. It seemed like she wanted to refine her own movements.

Soon a large buxom woman appeared

The woman gave Kotori a discerning look and then spoke

"this will not do"

[Eh?] Kotori thought

The woman had a refined attitude, but she was a little unpleasant. Heavy chalk makeup was plastered over her face and giving her face pale and pasty-looking skin. She wore a cloying heavy perfume that appeared to be made from some sort of flowers.

She walked over and grabbed Kotori's chin, holding it closer so she could get a better look. Kotori tried to pull away but the woman was much stronger than she looked.

"You have good bone structure, we could fix this..."

[What is this lady talking about?] Kotori thought

"M'am..." Kotori started to say before the lady cut her off.

"My name is Madame Dupont but you will call me "Madame" and only that," The women said.

[Wasn't I supposed to come here to just get a dress?] Kotori thought

Apparently, Madame Dupont had other ideas

"That Gerard! Sending me such an unrefined girl, you act like you grew up in a village!"

[Well I kinda did] Kotori began thinking before the Madame Dupont grabbed her arm and started pulling her

"Look at your companion over there," She said pointing to Layla.

"She has such class! What marvelous posture." The Madame Dupont said with a joyful expression on her face

Layla seemed quite smug at the compliment

"Kotori, I like this lady," Layla said grinning

[You just like getting complimented!] Kotori thought

"And your companion over here! What a demure and proper expression befitting of a lady" Madame Dupont said pointing to Umi.

"You, on the other hand, no refineries or class. We must begin from the beginning!" Madame Dupont cried out

"Miss Dupont I don't think this is necessary" Kotori started to say before Madame Dupont pulled her arm.

"I told you to call me MADAME!" Madame Dupont said she started pulling on Kotori arm

"Come! I will fix you to be a respectable noble lady before the week is done." She said

[A week!] Kotori thought as she was dragged away

Kotori looked back at Amelie and the others

"Don't worry about your companions they will also be refined!" Madame Dupont said before dragging Kotori into the dress building.

** ** **

Kotori had spent the better part of the week visiting the dress shop and being educated in all manner of behavior befitting of a "lady". Madame Dupont didn't really seem to care whether Kotori was a noble lady or not declaring that true nobility came from a person's actions rather than their birth.

Unfortunately for Kotori Madame Dupont's interpretation of true nobility require Kotori to learn extensively on how to carry herself.

Everything Kotori did was apparently unrefined and Madame Dupont went through great efforts to make Kotori's mannerism suitable for polite society.

Despite being criticized so harshly Kotori was able to impress Madame Dupont just once. Madame Dupont had Kotori walk around with a cup of water on her head to refine her posture. Kotori was able to do this quite easily on account of her wood elf training.

Madame Dupont herself seemed quite surprised to see Kotori able to walk so easily. Kotori already had a warrior's sense of balance.

For once Kotori felt thankful to Mari for teaching her.

[Mari, I'll buy you something nice when I go back to the village again!] Kotori thought while doing the exercise.

Apparently, Layla and Umi were getting lessons in basic fashion and how to treat a noble lady, they were being treated as Kotori's "handmaidens" by Madame Dupont, and although their behavior and the way they held themselves passed Madame Dupont's discerning eye they were still ignorant in the ways of noble trends and other things.

Amelie surprisingly was also dragged into the nobility manners course with Kotori.

Kotori was given a crash course in manners and was educated in all sorts of things from the way she should talk to the way she ate her food.

The concepts were drilled in her head and Madame Dupont gave no quarter. Anybody who slipped in their training would be slapped with a ruler that mysteriously appeared in her hand whenever they made a mistake.

Shu was also told how to control his charge and how to not dishonor his lord when defending her.

At the end of the week and a day before, the party Madame Dupont finally gave a nod

"It will have to do," She said

"I would've liked at least a year to teach you further, but it seems like we are out of time, at the very least you all will not embarrass yourself."

Kotori who spent this whole time in a whirlwind of lessons was shocked at the sudden change she suddenly realized that this whole process was likely not free

"Wait what about payment!" Kotori said

Madame Dupont gave a rare laugh, something she herself said was unseemly for a woman to do.

"Payment? I'll send the bill to Mr. Gerard no worries." Madame Dupont said.

"You dress has finished as well, my lady," she said

[Dress?] Kotori thought.

Throughout this whole process, she had completely forgotten that she was here for a dress, and not manner lessons.