Chapter- 16

Braelyn's POV

"Our wedding day, you know it was the most awaited day of my life. I was excited like a fucking kid on Christmas but then everything changed in just a few minutes." He smiled sadly.

"That pain was too much for me. I felt as if my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I drank, drank madly to numb the pain but the more I drank I felt I was getting more drowned in grief , an unparalleled emptiness." I wanted to hold him, console him but I couldn't. The fact that he went through so much pain because of my stupidity, twisted my heart.

"To get away from all this I immersed myself in work, a lot of work. I didn't care for anything else other than the company, your words burning in my mind. I worked day and night to claim back all our losses. In these three years we covered every loss, bought shares in companies all over the world. I wanted to make you swallow your own words.

I tried everything to forget you, your voice, your smiling face but I failed. There wasn't a day I didn't miss you but everytime I remembered our memories, the times we had spent together, my heart filled with an unfiltered amount of rage. Eventually I lost contact with all my friends, I became alone. There were times when I used to feel depressed, and didn't want to come out of my room. I only had Kate and Ryan with me at that time. " I inhaled sharply at that.

"I only had Kate and Ryan with me at that time."

"They helped me to carry on with my life , provided me with emotional support and always had my back." I felt like laughing out at our condition. Evan thinks Kate was one of the biggest supporters when he was distressed, the same Kate who was the cause of it, the one who split us apart.

Whatever thoughts I had of confessing everything to him, died in my mind. He would never in a lifetime believe me if I accused Kate. It's known that people grow closer at the time of misery and Kate pretended to be his biggest well-wisher at such a time. How could I even make him believe that Kate was not what he thinks?

The memories of the past are already so painful and I didn't want to mess it up further. He would consider me a liar if I tell him everything and I wouldn't be able to bear any more accusations. I composed myself before speaking.

"With all due respect, why are you telling me all this Mr. Lewis?" I saw his jaws clench, highlighting his sharp jawline. I knew it was rude and extremely insensitive to say this but I had no option. For a second hurt flashed in his eyes before they went back to normal.

"I had suffered so much Brae but today I want the reason. Why did I suffer so much? Why did you leave me back then?" I kept changing my weight from one feet to another out of nervousness.

"I'm sorry for all you had to go through but there is nothing new to speak about this topic." I kept a poker face, my voice cold.

"Brae -" I cut him off abruptly.

"You have a meeting with the German clients in an hour. If you let me, I would have the conference room prepared."
Keeping his jaws clenched, he nodded at me. I quickly opened the door and left his cabin.

Entering my room, I kept my belongings on the table and closed my eyes to calm my erratic breathing. Everything the past us brought into discussion I experience this indescribable feeling. It's like I want to speak my heart out, let everyone know what happened but again uttering even a single word about it seems difficult and suffocating.

Even though I wanted to, I knew it would be useless to talk to Evan about our past. Anyone in his place would never believe me. Maybe this secret will stay with me forever, maybe some things are better this way, unspoken of.

………………

Evan's POV

"How can she act like this?" I muttered looking at the broken pieces of the pen stand that had landed on the floor facing my anger. Her cold, indifferent attitude was unnerving.