36 • Nothing you could say could make it better • 36

When we turned we saw Tommy sitting down the other side of me

When we turned we saw Tommy sitting down the other side of me. He had one of his arms wrapped around his knees as he looked nervously at the patio below the bit of the roof we were sat on.

"I thought you didn't like heights?" I asked, looking at him amusingly.

Tommy didn't say anything, he just looked further down at the drop from the roof to the ground.

"He doesn't. I think it's because me and Sebastian pushed him off a diving board when he was younger. He came up in a coughing fit." Harry smirked.

"They traumatised me when I younger, that's why." Tommy corrected, but looked at me as if he was trying to distract himself from the drop. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm alright. Is he still here?"

Tommy nodded. "They wanted me to come and find where you two are. You've been up here for a while. It's awkward."

I raised my eyebrows. "How are my Mom and Dad getting on?"

It sounded so weird saying Mom and Dad together in one sentence.

"You're Mom gets an A* in civility. She seems fine, she's just telling your Dad how to handle you." Tommy shrugged. "You're Dad seems pretty chill too, but soon enough I think he's gonna get annoyed with your Mom trying to tell him what to do. I can tell, though, he's just worried about you."

Of course, they were trying to be civil. My Mom probably doesn't want to broadcast just how broken their relationship is now. Forget being ex husband and wives, the pair of them aren't even friends anymore and I can only bet my Mom doesn't want other people to know about that. It makes you look really good if you can still manage to be friends with your ex spouse.

I rolled my eyes and laughed coldly. "If he was so worried about me he would have stayed in touch."

"I thought you were in touch? Didn't you say you'd consider going to live with him if you didn't like it here?" Tommy asked,
confused.

"Yeah, but that would have been if I was desperate and needed to get away from here. I'm okay here right now. Besides, just because my Mom and I had talked about it, doesn't mean i would have arrived and wouldn't have been mad at him. Whether it was me turning up at his door or him turning up at ours, I'd still resent him like this."

I bit down on my lip thinking about it. I thought I was somewhat serious about going away to stay with my Dad if I couldn't stand living with the Lakewood's or my Mom. I guess I hadn't really comprehended how my Dad had actually hurt me and how facing him was a lot harder than I first anticipated.

Tommy nodded. "You should go and talk to him Charlie. Our parents are sharing a bottle of wine with him. They seem to be getting on okay. You should try and see what he has to say or let him know what you want him to hear." Tommy suggested.