Chapter 20

Castor wants to breathe a sigh of relief

Castor wants to breathe a sigh of relief. Her O.W.L.s were finally done, though she wouldn't know the results until the summer break. She wants to feel like there's a weight lifted off her chest, but there's still one thing she must do. And as much as she doesn't want to witness the execution of Buckbeak, she promised herself she wouldn't leave Hagrid to grieve alone. She'd dropped her bag off in her dorm, telling Pollux to meet her in the main hall and they would head down to Hagrid's together. Pollux said he wanted to be there for Castor as much as she wanted to be there for Hagrid.

She meets her brother, clad in his leather jacket, dark wash jeans and boots, wild curls blowing in the wind, as she comes down the stairs from Ravenclaw tower. She's dressed in her own dark jeans, converse on her feet and plaid flannel. The sleeves are pulled down over her knuckles, rings shining in the evening light, and half of her curls are pulled away from her face and secured with her wand.

She tries to smile, tries to make herself seem okay, but the fidgeting of her fingers and refusal to completely meet her twin's gaze gives her away, not that Pollux really needed to read her body language though. Castor's mind is screaming at him, shouting her true feelings of anger and sadness all at the same time. Pollux wraps his arm over her shoulder, leading her in slow steps down the path to Hagrid's hut at the bottom of the hill. The large man seemed to know she would be coming and had already set out another cup of tea for her, though he seemed a bit surprised to see Pollux with her.

"I suspected you'd be here." Hagrid grumbles, but Castor knows the bitter tone is not directed towards her. She and Pollux take their seats across from Hagrid, and they thank him for the tea, sipping at the warm beverage slowly as they make light conversation. Hagrid asks them about how their O.W.L.s went, if they have any plans for the summer, and what they hope to do for their 17th birthday, which is only a week away. Talking about anything else to avoid the Erumpent in the room.

"Hagrid," Castor begins, toying with the rim of her teacup.

"Oh no you don't." He points a firm finger at her. "You're to go back up to the castle when they get here. I don't want you to see this!"

"Hagrid, I want to be here." She protests. Pollux looks between them both. "I am at fault more than you are."

"No, I am the professor. And what I say goes. You're to go back up to the castle before Professor Dumbledore catches you out past curfew." Hagrid turns as there's another knock on the door. Pollux can hear the thoughts of the three teenagers on the other side and gets up to open the door.

"Get in, before someone see you." Pollux ushers them in, looking up the hill to see if anyone spotted them coming down. When he closes the door behind them, he suddenly can't help but laugh, and looks to Hermione. "Did you really punch Malfoy in the face just now?" She grins at her, and the bushy haired witch smiles shyly.

"Good girl." Castor praises her, high fiving Ron and laughing while Harry snickers again.

"So, they're really gonna do it then?" Harry looks out the window at the hippogriff in the pumpkin patch. The bird is nestled with his head resting on his front talons, much like a dog would lay down in front of its master.