Chapter 30

Ananya Prasad

After that conversation, we sat silently throughout the drive to his home. I am feeling apprehensive to go there. I am sure his family would be mad at me and hate me and not mention, it is going to be uncomfortable living with a bunch of new members.

When we entered his home only Amit dadu is in the living room reading a book. I went and touched his feet and greeted him. He smiled at both of us and asked the house-help to shift our luggage into Arjun Sir's room. He told us that his parents were still in the hospital for the evening clinic and they would be reaching anytime now and Kavya went to Bengaluru for a conference. She is pursuing MBA in hospital administration because she hates blood and she wants to be on the administrative side of the hospitals.

Slowly Arjun sir and Dadu started discussing other hospital branches and some business terms which seemed like alien language to me. I just sat there silently.

"We never sat and talked after meeting again Pinky. You were always busy with work. How is working in the hospital?" Dadu asked me after some time.

He didn't make me feel uncomfortable. It was as if that incident never happened. Even I am feeling at ease after some time and we two started discussing my work and Arjun sir too joined the conversation occasionally.

"Is Arjun difficult to work with? How is he as a boss?" he asked me smiling.

I looked at Arjun sir and he whined at dadu, "Please dadu and stop this. I am a great boss"

Dadu laughed at him and told "She has to tell that, not you" and both of them looked at me expectantly.

I shifted in my seat, "Uhh...he is..."

"Arey, Bachey a gaye!!" I was interrupted by his mom. (Oh, the children came!!)

I breathed a sigh and stood up immediately to greet his parents. His mom came directly to me with a big smile on her face and hugged me.

"Sorry beta, we tried to come earlier. But couldn't. There were a lot of patients today in the evening clinic" she explained to me and went to kiss Arjun sir.

"It's okay mom" he assured her.

We then greeted his dad. He hugged and kissed me on the forehead, but just slightly punched Arjun Sir on his arm.

"Guys, let's eat first. I am starving. We can talk while eating. Otherwise, I will die" he said dramatically and his mom went to the kitchen to ask the house-help to serve dinner.

"I already ate. And I am going to sleep. You guys carry on" Amit dadu left to his room for the night.

"He has acidity beta. So he will eat early. Generally, Kavya will be with him. But she went for a conference" his dad explained to me.

"Ohh" I nodded at him.

Dinner was a casual affair. No one brought up our marriage or divorce. They are just trying to make me feel comfortable around them by not mentioning it. We mostly discussed hospitals and some cases.

Lakshmi aunty and I completed our dinner, but, Varun uncle and Arjun sir are still eating. More like talking not eating.

"Come beta, they will talk like this forever. I will show you your room", his mom asked me.

I followed her silently.

"You don't have to be so stiff around us sweetheart. This is your home regardless of your marriage with Golu. You and Sharanya are my daughters no matter what happens and you should feel the same too" she told me softly.

"I am sorry aunty. I shouldn't have lied to you" I apologized to her.

"No beta, I can understand your situation. I just want all three of you to be happy. Let's move forward instead of looking back and we will cross the bridges when we reach them. No need to ponder"