Chapter 41 - You Look Good in Blue

Ping Hai slammed his fists on the table.

He couldn't help but want to take out his temper. "Big brother! Why did you bring her in our shrine?" It was the middle of night, and Ping Hai had saw his older brother bring the young girl inside.

"Ah-Hai." Ping Sha sat across the table. "You don't understand."

No, Ping Hai thought. I understand more than you think.

"Didn't I tell you already that she's dirty? You shouldn't get involved with the beggars and homeless ones on the streets." Ping Hai babbled. "For what reason are you acting good? Just because she knows how to bully some random child, you've taken an interest?"

Ping Sha held a finger to his lips. "Ah-Hai, you're wrong."

Ping Hai wanted to argue more, but hearing his brother's next words had silenced him, "I'm merely playing around. Once we separate, she'll be heartbroken and yearning for more... that is what I'm aiming for. Didn't you say that she was unruly and deserved punishment? I'm doing what you said."

The younger brother slumped forwards.

He didn't know whether to be happy that his older brother didn't have affection for Yi Ran, or to be sad that the young girl he liked was being toyed around.

For the rest of winter, Yi Ran stayed with them.

"Hm? What is this, Ah-Sha?" Yi Ran saw how Ping Sha was holding onto a jade bracelet. Its colour shone of a beautiful cerulean blue, quite translucent and parallel to the sky.

"I'm good at carving." Ping Sha smugly said. "I carved this by myself. Since Winter passed, you'll have to leave us as well. This is my gift to you."

He handed over the jade bracelet.

Yi Ran saw this and goggled at it. She didn't dare to wear it, but she also didn't dare to refuse it. "Come on," Ping Sha was impatient, so he directly helped Yi Ran wear it. The latter could only wear the blue jade bracelet, fondling over it carefully.

Ping Sha smiled. "Yi Ran, you look good in blue."

Upon hearing that, Yi Ran blushed.

In the background, Wei Wuxian sighed. "Ohh, you have such a sweet mouth! Makes me want to punch your teeth out!"

All of a sudden, Ping Sha coughed. His chest heaved, and Yi Ran was alerted. "Ah-Sha? Are you alright?"

Ping Sha wore an ugly expression. "I'm... I'm fine."

He pushed away Yi Ran's arm, then told her, "Anyways, you should get going."

Yi Ran didn't want to, but Ping Sha pushed her towards the entrance of the shrine. Yi Ran had no choice but to leave. She was merely a young girl. She knew nothing of what the outside world has to give.

At that point, Ping Hai was secretly glad. He thought that his older brother had finally given up on the young girl. However, his older brother's health had declined. His skin began to pale, his heart began beating weakly and erratically at times, and he would feel faint.

Ping Hai wanted to bring his older brother to a hospital or clinic. However, his poor family had no money, especially since Ping Sha spent so much money to purchase and carve that jade bracelet...

"You'll for sure get better, older brother." Ping Hai declared.

Ping Sha was laid across the bed, wearing a haggard expression. He smiled. Ping Sha knew that he wouldn't get better. He could already feel his own health deteriorating at a fast pace.