23

Nina didn't know how much she'd been looking forward to hearing Fitz's voice until it echoed through her pod later that day. Though if she'd known that she'd sit up to see a very scared Skye and an equally as terrified Fitz, she wouldn't have been nearly as excited.

"Is everything okay?" Nina asked, climbing completely out from under her covers as she address them.

"You tell me?" Fitz responded. He didn't look at Nina as he spoke, but she made out the tears in the corner of his eyes. He held up a watch, and where it didn't encourage any reaction in her, it did in Skye, "I fixed your bio-metre watch. Checked your vitals at the time of the temple collapse. Your heart rate was recorded at almost... 300 BPM."

"Shit," Nina whispered under her breath because there was no doubt in her mind that Fitz knew what they were trying to hide.

"That's very fast," Skye responded to him, inhaling a shaky breath. 

"No," Fitz shook his head, not reacting to the stray tears leaving his eyes, "that's inhuman."

"Leo, you're mistaken-" Nina tried but she stopped herself when he turned to look at her. There was a glint in his eyes as they locked with hers, something that she'd seen in the eyes of so many other people before but never in him.

His blue eyes were tainted with fear. 

Fitz was afraid of her and the moment she noticed, she was hit with a pain she'd never felt before.

"I thought the readings were a mistake that I put the thing together wrong. I've been struggling to, uh, um..." Fitz snapped his fingers as he tried to think of the word. He looked away from Nina as he did so, though the woman remained frozen in place. Traumatised by the terror in his eyes, "something's wrong with the data in my head."

"What are you saying?" Skye gulped nervously, catching Nina's wide eyes in her peripheral vision.

"The heart monitor shattered from the inside out, but it was still on your wrist when we found you. That doesn't make sense. And how we found you- basically unharmed in the collapse with destruction all around you while Nina was unconscious, bleeding and Trip de-" as Fitz spoke, glass bottles inside Skye's pod began to shake. The sound snapping Nina out of her trance, "I thought I was losing my mind all over again..."

Nina quietly walked over the glass between her and Skye, trying to catch her attention and calm her down but it didn't work. Skye was freaking out, and without an idea of how to control her abilities, there was nothing Nina could think to do.

"That there was something wrong with me, so it took a while to dawn on me, or maybe I was just afraid to think it, that..." Fitz trailed off as he spoke, staring into Skye's eyes and not noticing the shaking bottles, "you survived the destruction... because you caused it."

"No. No, no, no. Fitz," Skye shot up from her bed as she began pleading.

Nina couldn't confidently recount what happened next because once Skye's pod started getting loud, her mind got louder. The voices came back, shouting and screaming over each other, the only difference this time was as they spoke, their blue tinted faces appeared before her eyes.

You bitch! A blond haired man with a scar beneath his left eye said.

I should've shot you as well! These words left the mouth of a man with a military cut and a nasty snarl.

Hail Hydra. A black haired woman said proudly before she disappeared in a puff of blue smoke.

You called me the murderer, what does that make you!?