Chapter 23

"Please calm down." Hans had a worried expression on his face.

I looked in the mirror beside me.

Ah. I look like I could kill a person out of my annoyance.

"Haah. Why is he calling me an accomplice like I just helped him with his crimes?" 

Hans sat down. He sighed as he stared blankly in space.

Why does he look more stressed than me?

Anyway, I feel better knowing that I have someone I could share my stress with.

"That crazy bastard."

"Yeah. He's a crazy bastard. Wait, what?"

I looked at Hans. He's unbelievable. This is like outright betrayal. Don't just curse your master like that.

"Bastard… hitting… kill…"

Hans kept on mumbling something and just from the few words that I heard, it obviously wouldn't be something good.

"Uh. Hans? I… I'm about to sleep. So… can't you just guard me outside the room?"

I've been feeling it since earlier but Hans has been sticking with me more than usual. He has always been near me but not this near. Is he worried?

"Understood, Lady Ces. I'll be right at the door." I waved at him as he went out.

"Haa." I just keep on sighing since I was kidnapped. I sighed again as I layed on the soft bed.

As expected, a noble's bed is fluffier than the bed in the prison.

Now that I'm being overly conscious of everything, I keep on smelling Evan's scent on the bed.

I feel like I'm being a pervert but he smells good. This is not bloody or something, right?

I hope he washed his body first before laying here.

*tak*

I froze. I'm being too overly conscious. It feels like all my senses are heightened.

Why does it feel like a person is peeping from the window?

I hope this is just a ghost and not an assassin. A ghost would really be the better choice. I've had enough of bloody scenes already.

Oh. Wait, perhaps?

I stood up and ran to the window in the balcony, ignoring the pain that I felt because of the wound. 

"Daryl..?"

A guy with silver hair appeared in front of me. He had crystal blue eyes and his whole appearance complemented the moon at his back.

My heart skipped a beat and I inwardly smacked my own head.

It happened the other time but I guess I really do have a thing with good looking men sparkling bright like how Evan sparkled when he used some kind of magic in the prison.

I clasped my hands and prayed sincerely. "I truly hope from the depths of my heart that you're a ghost and not an assassin."

He removed his hood back and looked straight at my eyes.

"The rumor really is true."

His voice gave off a different feeling. It felt cold and refreshing but it also gave off a vibe that he's a quiet person and that he just doesn't really want to talk to me. 

He totally looked like someone I wouldn't get along with because of his inexpressive face, someone I'd have a hard time reading.

"U-uh. Haha." I could only laugh awkwardly.

"Hamilton. Are you dating? Engaged?"

"Hell no!" He tilted his head as if he's questioning whether what I said was the truth.

Anyway, he keeps on talking in minimal words. Does he really dislike talking that much?

Who is he? Is he a character in the book? I don't think there are any other major characters aside from the three. I also don't think we've met before since I'll probably remember seeing that flashy and beautiful silver hair.

He didn't say anything and just stared at me as if he was reading my mind.

"Uh. If you're an assassin, I think it's better to come back here another day. Everyone is tensed up today. Also, I don't think anyone you're looking for is in this mansion."

Truthfully, Evan is just right next to this room but even though he did me bad, I can't just lead the assassin to kill him. I still consider him as my friend, I mean, we shared some moments in the prison… though it feels a little disturbing.

He probably just became twisted because of his family. Aish. I could still feel the chills whenever I remember his mother.

I really pity the next marchioness, having a mother-in-law like that would be her darkest nightmare. Just imagine the possibility of having your own blood splattered on her dress.

"I came here for you."

I snapped back from my thoughts and unconsciously reached for my neck.

"Uh. I… I didn't do anything bad, Sir." I can't even say it clearly without stuttering since I remember Evan telling me that I'm his accomplice.

Why does he even need to say disturbing things like that?! I totally look guilty now when I didn't even do anything!

"You…" He looked at my body.

He suddenly pushed me inside the room.

"Strip."