Chapter 80

Also not editing this bc i'm a fucking tool 

Third person pov

Horrifying was one way to put it.

The sand ninja, Gaara, was wrapped in sand and radiating an oppressive chakra that made it hard to breathe. It felt like there were several pounds of pressure being weighed down on them. Shikamaru's grip on Arron's hand tightened, his teeth grinding together like stones as he tried to retain his focus through the sheer bloodlust in the air. Trexx carefully set them down on the tree branch he'd perched on, his shadowy body beginning to blend with the darkness cast by the canopy above. He was growling, so lowly Shikamaru almost couldn't hear.

Arron gazed at the One Tailed Beast with narrowed eyes, head tilting slowly as she took the sight in and tried to figure out exactly what she was looking like. It looked like a very fat... something. Arron supposed it didn't matter all that much. All she could tell for absolute certain was that it was angry. Being here was dangerous, but Shikamaru had wanted to come for his friends. Surely they couldn't leave until their safety, and the safety of the village, was ensured.

"...Ew." Arron's nose crinkled, her final judgement of Gaara's demon seeming to wrap things up quite nicely. Shikamaru snorted out a laugh before he could even realize what he was doing. He blinked a few times, surprised he was able to find any ounce of amusement through the stifling fear. "It is ugly." 

"I-- yeah. Yeah, it is." Shikamaru coughed the words out, shaking his head and grinning wryly. He took a deep breath, trying to center himself. He had to keep calm. Arron didn't seem afraid. Cautious and on edge, but there was no bone-shattering fear present in her expression. Shikamaru would know better than anyone if there were. "I... think that's a tailed beast. All the hidden villages have one. It's supposed to be for balance's sake, or something. It's all a drag."

Arron nodded in wide agreement. She vaguely recalled the tailed beasts, though not well. Tales of them were told across the elemental nations, so she'd grown up hearing about them just as any other kid might, captive or not. This one was rather obviously the One Tailed Beast. Characteristic of Suna, it seemed to be made of sand. Clouds of it were pluming off the thing as it grew and grew in size, stretching above the trees it was so gargantuan. It was actually rather horrifying, to be entirely honest with you.

Arron swallowed hard and told herself she was not going to panic, because she does not do that anymore. They are here to get Shikamaru's friends and... protect the village? Arron's not sure how they can possibly do that when their opponent is so large, and so powerful. Arron happens to be rather puny, and Shikamaru is as well put up next to that odd looking rat. Or perhaps it is a bear? No, it has pointy ears. It must be a cat of some kind. Or a dog. It has a very wide face, however, so Arron cannot be sure. She is not well-versed in many varieties of animal.

Her eyes climbed across the scene, watching the creature clutch its head and shriek. She grimaced as the trees shook, leaves falling and spiraling to the ground around them. Shikamaru drew her in closer, looking incredibly grim. Perhaps they could shoot water out of it? It was made out of dirt, and when dirt got wet--

Wait. It was made out of dirt.

"Trexx." Arron realized, eyes growing wide. She whirled around to peer up at him. He was staring at the sun, but a light bat to his knee brought his attention back to her begrudgingly. "You eat dirt."

"Kill sun." Trexx rumbled. Arron was only somewhat sure it was an agreement. Trexx eats many things he isn't supposed to, and dirt is one of those things. This is a very good thing in Arron's opinion. Can Trexx grow big enough to eat the weird cat, however? Arron's really not sure. She supposes they will find out. "Eat sun?"