epilogue

THE CHENGS AND THE MINGS were forced to spend most of graduation day together.

It was bloody chaos.

The entire eighth floor descended at seven in the morning—so painfully early—for one of our last breakfasts together in the cafeteria before we all moved out at the end of the week. Jake cried as he made a toast with his chocolate milk.

"Boo," Viv had joked, using her signature humour to dry his tears. "Don't act like you aren't going to live it up in Germany the whole summer."

Then she, Riley and I spent about two hours applying our makeup with painstaking care and slipping into stylish midi dresses. Between the three of us, I think our eyeliner was redone about fifteen times until they were meticulously symmetrical.

At midday, Quen and I walked hand in hand to meet our families. Our friends followed us, heading to the Quad where crowds of seniors and their loved ones were gathered, angling for shade under the nearest trees.

Quen's parents and grandmother were the only ones who came to cheer him on, sitting side by side on a bench underneath an oak tree. They were calm and patient.

Gathered around a neighbouring bench, Pippa wailed in Mom's arms. Dad and Wenghao laughed together over something on Dad's phone screen. Kevin and Olly were ganging up on Tommy for not messaging the family WeChat enough.

The juxtoposition was stark. I shivered in the heat.

"Here we go," I muttered, squeezing Quen's hand tightly. His fingers tightened around mine in response.

"Here we go," Quen echoed.

By now, I'd broken the news online that yes, I had a boyfriend now, and fielded my parents' curious questions. They liked the sound of Quen on paper, but I still issued a warning to both parties to be on their best behaviour.

"Hi, guys," I called as I approached my family, and Viv, Riley and the Jays split off to greet their own.

Quen went to hug his mother, drawing her over until we were one big cluster of reuniting relatives. It was a bit claustrophobic, if I was being honest, but I could grin and bear it for today.

I hugged Quen's mom and waved to his dad. "I'm so happy to see you again! How have you been?"

After the greetings and introductions were made, I finally tugged Mom over to talk to Quen. We had officially called twice since the Christmas Catastrophe.

The first time she reminded me to change my mailing address back to the apartment, once I left Halston. The second time, she asked me to start ferrying my winter clothes home in increments so there would be less to take on move-out day.

Each time in farewell, she told me to leave my windows open. Which was her way of saying she loved me.

Quen hadn't been nervous to meet her. Like the amazing boyfriend he was, he'd prepared exactly what he was going to say to get Mom to like him.

"Hello, Mrs. Ming," he smiled. "It's so nice to finally meet you." He extended a hand and tipped his head slightly.

Mom shook Quen's hand politely, eyes skimming up and down his frame. She was always great at being friendly to everyone—guess that's where I got it—but I wanted more than superficial civility. I wanted her to really, really enjoy Quen's presence in my life. I wanted her to be proud of me.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Quentin."

But before Quen had a chance to say more, she turned her head to me. Not abruptly enough to be rude, but enough to make me her sole focus of the day. "让我们拍照. Then we can meet our reservation."