04 ㅡ i'm fine, really

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

the smell of medicine is something jungwon will probably never get use to. it comes off too strong for him and the thoughts of the doctor saying that his mother doesn't have a long time left swarms his head like fog.

"jungwon..?" his mother croaks after suddenly waking from her rest. jungwon immediately brushes his frown off and replaces it with a bright smile to greet his mother.

he immediately reaches to hold her dry hands, veins portruding, "how are you feeling?" her smile after telling him that she's alright makes jungwon's heart ache, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

he doesn't know how long he'll be able to see her smile from now on.

"we're here~" a masculine voice is heard and the door is slid open. his mother's lover enters the room with their 7 year old son in hand. their appearance immediately makes jungwon's mother let go of his hand.

all her attention is immediately turned to her lover and their son who she greets very cheerfully. "hello, my son~!"

a churn is felt in jungwon's chest and he can't help but look away while pursing his lips. jungwon stands up to gather his stuff.

lowly, he excuses himself, making his way to the door.

their entrabnce means his exit.

"jungwon-hyung!" he halts, looking back to see his half brother running towards him with a smile. jungwon immediately squats down to meet his gleaming eyes. "are you going to school?"

he is currently looking at someone his mother had with another man that he doesn't know well. although his mother's time is unfairly divided due to him, he cannot blame his half brother for anything.

jungwon nods his head, smiling at him. "yes, daewon-ah. hyung is heading to highschool now."

"can i go with you, hyung?"

his request makes jungwon grin, "nothing fun is happening at my school right now. but i'll take you there.. someday." this makes little daewon smile. jungwon glances at his brother's father who smiles in approval then to his mother who tries to hide her rolling eyes. "hyung is gonna be late. i'm gonna go now."

daewon nods, "goodbye, hyung~!" then nearing him for a hug - taking jungwon back a little bit.

he hesitates for a second but decides to open his arms wide for his half brother who immediately smiles wide and embraces jungwon. the latter melts at his brother's warmth, embracing him tightly.