19. Crave You Like No Other

Night had already fallen when I left the cave with Mila's guidance. She had been quiet the whole time, sparing me from her snarky remarks and snippy retorts. She seemed lost in thought, weighed down by her own musings as we walked in silence.

"Thank you." I told her as she broke free from the crevice that was one of the exits from the cave. Moonlight cast a silver shadow on our feet. She still was barefoot and completely unfazed by it. I tried to offer her my boots, but she simply shook away my aid, claiming she felt the earth better without the vanity of footwear- whatever that meant.

I was sure she just tolerated my presence so she could get rid of me. I wasn't bothered all that much.

Mila pointed over my shoulder. "Just go south through the trees. You'll eventually end up at your cabin."

I recognised my surroundings, knowing the cabin was a few miles down the track. "Thanks again."

She cast me one long glance over her bony shoulder, "We'll see if you're still grateful in the next few days."

When she pressed herself back into the opening of the gap, I held out a palm to stop her. She blinked at the offending hand and pursed her lips. "What are you doing?" She slowly turned to face me.

"Come with me." I flipped my palm over, so it was open, waiting. "Come with me to my Pack."

She stared at my palm for a long moment. Something rippled over her features. Her chin trembled as she took a deep breath and finally shook her head, keeping her face turned away from me.

"Mila."

She took another breath and grew stiff, squaring her shoulders. "No." Despite her rejection, her voice had cracked with emotion she couldn't hide.

"You'll be safe with us. My Alpha is a good man. He'll take care of you."

"I said no." She moved towards the aperture.

"Mila, don't go back there. Come with me. Please. I'll make sure no one will harm you. You can be safe if you just trust me enough and come with me. I know exactly where your head is. So please, come with me."

She took another shaky breath as she eased her body back through the gap they exited moments earlier. "You have no idea what I did Shadow Hunter. If anything, your Alpha would want to kill me."

With those words lingering, she left.

I fisted my hand, dropping it to my side. I couldn't help but take her rejection personally. She knew from Jace's words that I had been a Rogue. I had walked in her shoes. I most certainly knew how she felt.

I glanced around, noting the lack of nocturnal animals around.

The wind whistled, ringing in my ear.

I warded off the cool wind, hugging my torso as I began my trek back. I was oddly comfortable having the moonbeams light up my path.

I thought of Kian, knowing he would be relieved that Papa Kian was doing fine.

The Bennetts were also something that needed to be reported immediately.

My thoughts lingered on Mila. I didn't want to leave her behind, but I couldn't force her. She had her right to choose. As a Rogue, that was one thing lone wolves thrived on. I couldn't take away her ability to choose because I wanted her safe. It was the only factor she had control of, even if she thought her choices were limited. The only thing that kept me sane about the girl was that Magnus would be there when she returned. He was the only one who seemed to treat her kindly enough.