Chapter 51

I ran under the scorching sun, pushing past people crowding the sidewalk. My feet hurt and my lungs screamed. With each step I took an agonizing pain shot up from my ankle to my knee but it was mild compared to the ache in my heart.

Suddenly my heel snapped and I stumbled down to the ground. My palms scraped on the cement and blood pricked in them. A sob escaped my lips. Heads turned in my direction but I didn't care. I cared no more because in their eyes I would be a cheater. In his eyes I would be a cheater.

Tears streamed down my eyes and my body shook. I squeezed my eyelids shut hoping everything was just a nightmare but I still felt it, the pain. It was real. Everything was real.

I couldn't register the look on his face. I didn't want to. I didn't want to see anger or betrayal in it. I wasn't strong enough to see it.

I wailed and wailed, clenching my heart, wishing it would all go away.

But it didn't. This was the reality.

I was a traitor to those blue eyes I loved very much.

...

It was near midnight and I was sitting on the deck of an old store by the river facing the Brooklyn bridge. I watched the cars, their array of red and yellow from afar, grasping the beauty of the night to my eyes.

I hugged my knees closer as the wind blew across my face, dragging the cold night air with it.

I had turned my phone off because I knew Lexi and Brian would try to find me. Will Ian too? I shook off the thought.

It's been hours since I ran away and I had enough time to gather myself and think about everything that happened today.

I knew I had to explain the truth to Ian but I was too scared of his reaction. It was why I ran away earlier. I needed time to prepare myself to face him -- to face his reaction. What if he doesn't believe me? What if he also thinks I cheated on him? It would break me, it would shatter me. I tried to muster up the courage to go to him but I was still too scared. I didn't want to face the reality if he didn't believe me. I couldn't lose him. I couldn't.  

I wiped the tear that trickled down my face. I was still clinging onto the hope that he would believe me. Part of me thinks he would but the other part questioned it. What if he doesn't? My lips trembled at the thought. How could everything change in just a few hours?

I knew my face would probably be in every article right now, the new gossip. I knew I must be receiving a lot of hate but that didn't matter. I just wanted Ian.

I buried my face in my hands and sobbed. I pictured his face -- his sweet smile, his loving eyes. I didn't want to see it changed.

Suddenly I heard footsteps on the deck.
"Hailey"

My body tensed and I glanced up.  "Hailey are you here?" The footsteps rounded the corner of the store.

No no no I can't face him now. I'm not ready.

"Hailey" 

I tried getting up but my legs gave out. No no no.

"Hailey-" He came into view and halted seeing me. His eyes widened. I wanted to run away but I couldn't manage to because there were, there were tears in his eyes.

"Oh my god Hailey" Ian quickly rushed to me and knelt down, engulfing me in a warm hug. "You're alright. You're alright" He murmured into my hair, tightening his hold around me, reassuring himself that I was here with him. "You're alright" He repeated, pressing a kiss to my head. "I've been searching you for half a day Hailey. And when I couldn't find you-" His hands trembled. "I thought something might've h-happened to you" His voice cracked and he buried his face in my neck. "Do you know how worried I was sweetheart? It nearly killed me. If something had happened to you" He shook his head and whispered lowly. "I don't think I wanna live"