Chapter 54-Keefe

She blinked at him, her eyes wide—with hurt and confusion and terror.

Sophie was terrified.

Her voice was shaky as she whispered, "Keefe?"

"Foster, what happened here?"

Her expression crumpled, and Keefe forgot about their fight as he crouched down to scoop her into his chest. She trembled in his arms, burying her face in the crook of his neck. Her hands clenched his shirt tightly, and Keefe squeezed her—hoping the contact would reassure her.

"Hey, it's okay," he soothed, "come on, I've got you."

"You're not going to kill me, are you?" Her voice broke. "Please, please don't kill me." Even as she said the words, she burrowed even closer to him—as if Keefe had ever even considered it, she still wanted to be in his arms.

His heart cracked. "I'm gonna—" he stopped himself in time from saying 'protect you.' He finished in a whisper, "—do whatever you need me to."

Her panting slowed against his neck, and she let out a half sob. "Oh."

"Can you tell me what happened?" Keefe asked quietly.

She shook her head against his neck. "I—" she gasped out a breath, and he felt her emotions spike as if she was replaying the scene.

"That's fine. Sophie, hey, it's okay." He traced circles on her back, slowly feeling her emotions calm.

"Happy place, remember?" He murmured, his cheek pressed against her hair.

She nodded, chest heaving. "Silveny," she said, voice hoarse, "you."

"Yeah," Keefe whispered. "It's okay, Foster. Nothing's gonna happen to you. I promise."

Her pulse slowed, until her breathing had become soft and steady, and tiny little snores filled the air.

Keefe replayed the scene in his head as she rested against him, staying as aware as he could of her emotions, in case he needed to wake her up.

He and Ro had heard a scream.

They looked at each other, faces drawing slack with worry.

He ran.

He ran as fast as he could, and he'd only had time to register Elwin standing above her with a knife in hand before his rage and worry and fear had overwhelmed him. Somehow, he'd known that it would only affect Elwin this time.

And then she'd sat trembling in front of him, face pale.

"Keefe?"

Keefe glanced up at Ro's voice, jolted out of his thoughts.

She wore an apologetic expression on her face. Bo stood beside her, staring seriously at Elwin and the now identifiable Grizel sprawled out on the floor.

Ro had managed to take Grizel out, and apparently, woken up Bo from his previous passed out condition.

Ro scanned the room, crossing it to pick up the discarded knife Elwin had tried to use. Her frown deepened. "We need to leave."

"Where would we go?" Keefe said. "This wasn't on his own. Elwin wouldn't. What if..." he didn't want to say it, but he forced himself to. "What if everyone's like this?"

Ro and Bo shared a reluctant glance. He spoke up, "Ms. Foster, though an elf, is under my protection. I took an oath that I would protect her, and I stand by that oath."

Ro muttered an agreement.

"Which is why," Bo continued, "we have decided to take you both to Ravagog."