Eleven

The next morning's drive to school went by like any other morning until Baba stopped outside a deli.

"Baba," I glanced at the dashboard clock, my voice hinting at my displeasure. It was 7:45 am. We only had twenty minutes before school started.

"I know," he replied, not looking at me as he cut the engine. "I'll be back soon. I need to get something. I'll be back quick."

As a wave of hot air swept into the car as my dad exited, I angrily texted my group chat with Salah and Ameena to foretell my tardiness.

Inaya: I'm going to be late all because my dad really stopped by at some random deli

Like what the hell? I've never been here before.

AmEEna: Poor Inaya.

I've never seen you late to class.

👑 Queen Salah 👑: Forgot a quiz and now late to class?

Senioritis totally got to you

When Baba returned to the car empty-handed five minutes later, I turned to face the window, rested my chin on the palm of my hand, and rolled my eyes. I didn't say anything directly to my baba, but I glared at the time on the dashboard, which read 7:50 a.m. We were fifteen minutes from the school, and the bell for the first period would ring in fifteen minutes. Even though that meant I'd arrive on time, I'd be even later, considering I needed to go to my locker first.

If that weren't bad enough, I wouldn't know the results of the prom theme, either, since homeroom would be over by the time I got there.

"I've never been late to school, Baba," I said seriously.

He glanced at me as he rushed to put on his seat belt, and, again, he spoke without looking at me.

"I know, I know."

I slumped in my seat and stared out the window on my right. Being late once meant I'd just lost the perfect attendance award.

Baba cleared his throat. "So, uh, your mama said you had a quiz yesterday. How'd you think you did?"

Since I was still upset, I refused to say anything, and the rest of the car ride was silent. And I refused to say anything to him when I finally stepped out of the car and onto the hot pavement, ten minutes late due to unexpected traffic.

The security at the entrance looked at my ID card and let me in. I cringed on the inside as I walked the silent halls. The reality that I was going to be the center of attention when I walked into the classroom so late was settling in. And all because my dad wanted to go to a store and not get something. If he wanted breakfast or an extra lunch snack, he just needed to ask Mama, I bitterly thought. Or grab something from the fruit bowl Mama never leaves empty.

I held my breath and adjusted my hijab unconsciously before I placed a hand on the doorknob of my Earth Science classroom. I forced a passive face and entered. Salah and Ameena immediately looked up at me, as did the other students. At least Valentino wasn't in this class to witness the alarm in my eyes.

"Ah," my teacher said from the other end of the room. "There must be a blue moon tonight because Inaya's late to class!"

The class snickered, and I smiled as I slid into my assigned seat. Oh, I was definitely going to text Mama about this.

I was studying precalculus in the library during my lunch period when I got a text from my dad.

Baba❤️: Hey kiddo, I can pick you up from school today

I'd already texted my mom about this morning between classes, but I was still upset over what had happened. So, I opened the chat so he knew I'd read his message, but I didn't text him back.

When the library's air conditioning stopped for ten minutes, sending everyone into a hot, sweaty panic, I opened my messages. Waiting for the bus in this heat because I was mad at Baba was self-torture. Neither would it bring back a chance at the perfect attendance award.

Inaya: Sure, at 2 pm?

Baba❤️: I can probably do 3:15 more likely. Is that okay?

I paused to think. What was I going to do while I waited that long? I glanced to my right. The wooden chair beside me was empty. I quickly replied.

Inaya: Yeah.

Are you gonna tell Mama?

Baba❤️: Yep.

I put my phone back in my pocket and picked up my pencil. I tapped its eraser to my bottom lip and then smiled. With an hour to spare from my last class to my dad picking me up, I had an idea of how—who—to spend it with.