Chapter 1: River

She always had her head in a book. Why? It recked my nerves. She could bump into someone, fall, I mean she does all these things but today she was unusually focused on this book.

My girlfriend Lyla put her hand on my chest, looking up at me hungrily.

" come on Riv, ditch first with me, we can make out in your car." It was never just making out with her, and to be honest, she's a horrible kisser.

" fine." She grabbed my arms and placed them around her back. She smiled and placed her hand in her pocket as we walked. I was paying attention but at some point, she bumped into me.

She stumbled and dropped her things. " watch it freak." Lyla said as we continued walking. I turned back and saw her looking at her broken glasses. I saw her eyes start to water, but then she looked up at me, I turned my head back to Lyla quickly.

It's a tough world out there. She better understand high school is just the start of it.

After taking care of Lyla's needs in the backseat of my car I really had to go to class. I have too many tardy's because of her.

I had no classes with her. Thank God.

I'm popular, I hate to say it but being captain of the basketball team has its props but it puts a target on your back. Not only am I feared but I have fake friends all over me. Wanting to even be associated with me gets them props. And that's exactly what Lyla was doing but I needed her so other girls would get off my back.

And Lyla was heavily feared.

I saw her getting on the bus. The MATA bus was full of crazy crackheads and hard-working single moms. She was watching her step carefully. The fall broke her glasses, but as I watched her struggle a lady with bags on each wrist helped her up the stairs of the bus.

She smiled at her and they started small talk. I turned back into Lyla's ranting and drove off-campus.

" Can you drop me off at Megan's house?" She asked looking down at her phone. " why didn't you just get a ride with Megan?"

" I was hoping we could do some more things in the backseat." She smirked. " can't out of condoms." I heard her moan in frustration. "can't you just pull out?"

" I'm not doing it without a condom!" I spat. "fine, then." She crossed her arms and sat back in her seat. I can't wait to drop her off at Megan's.

" bye, love you." She said in the window. " bye." I watched her walk into the house before I drove off.

It's Saturday, which means I have to work at my parent's book store. And I hate it. Luckily it's far enough from any of my "friends".

I sat at the counter reading most customers took their time so I wasn't in a rush to check people out.

I heard footsteps approach the counter and I looked up and I almost dropped my book.

" one second, I need my backup glasses. See my glasses broke at school today, im a complete clutz. And I had to go home to find my old glasses from 7th grade. Sure their tight but it's better than not seeing at...." She finally looked up and paused. I knew I was glaring at her. We were both surprised.

She put the glasses on and she whimpered. A scared whimper. she pushed the book towards me and I scanned it quickly. She handed me a $20 and I rang it up but she said 'keep the change' and grabbed the book.

I watched her rush to the parking lot, she walked to a white Nissan. So she did have a car. Why was she on the bus?

I told a worker to watch the counter while I went after her. I'll be dammed if I let some small, shy girl go and tell the world I work at a bookstore. I'll be ruined.

" hey!" I called after her. She turned around and her eyes widened. She turned in her car and she was running over to it. She drove off so fast her tires screeched.

I'm fucked.

I broke her glasses today, and now she has something over me. She'll tell everyone.