40. heartbreak

the night before the party, nini was feeling more nervous than ever.

not just because this seemed important to her career that jenn was obsessive over, but because she was going to have to put on a smile and act like everything was okay. when in reality, she was still feeling hurt, torn and heartbroken.

these past few days, she'd gotten missed calls from ricky but never answered them. she didn't know what to tell him. she doesn't know how to speak to him after witnessing his answer to lily in his hallway...

nini was preparing her outfit for tomorrow before her phone rang, the girl heading over to her keyboard, taking the phone resting on it as she answered the call from her manager

"hi jenn," she greeted with a small sigh as she leaned her head with the phone against her shoulder so that she could continue to prepare her outfit

"nini, good." jenn said heavily "you'll need to be free at four."

nini knit her eyebrows together, putting down a pair of trousers as she held her phone firmly "why?"

jenn took a deep breath "an...important meeting as been added to your schedule. it won't take all afternoon. you'll still go to the party in the evening."

nini scoffed "thank you for letting me?"

"i'd appreciate less attitude," jenn replied shortly

'and i'd appreciate you not making decisions in my life.'

the brunette girl swallowed and rolled her eyes "sorry." she mumbled "what's the meeting for?"

"oh just some catch-up on your career. the important parts." jenn waved off

nini nodded slowly "right...okay..."

"good. i'll see you tomorrow. don't be late." jenn told her

"i won't be."

nini ended the phone call and sighed to herself, continuing to prepare her clothes, her mind occupied with the meeting tomorrow...

it was four in the afternoon on a friday and nini walked into the office building where her meeting was being held.

she had absolutely no idea what the meeting was going to be for, and she wasn't going to lie and say she wasn't the slightest concerned or worried...

when she reached the elevator, nini pressed the button and waited for the doors to slide shut, the girl letting out a breath as she tapped her fingers together nervously.

the ding of the elevator, indicating that she'd arrived at the floor, tore her away from her thoughts as the doors slid open, nini stepping out and walking down the hall.

she arrived at the door where the meeting room was and she heard muffled voices behind it before she opened the door and froze still.

"nini."

the brunette's eyes locked with the curly-haired boys, her feeling her heart drop low in her chest

"w-what's this?" nini asked shakily, staying at the door

"how about you take a seat?" jenn suggested, patting the chair next to her that was opposite ricky snd benjamin

nini swallowed hard as she slowly closed the door behind her, making her way to the chair and sitting down.

she could feel ricky's eyes on her but she kept her gaze down, not finding enough courage inside of her to look at him yet...

"well..." benjamin breathed, noticing the awkward tension around the room as he opened his folder "this meeting is...to discuss your relationship."

nini's eyes looked up to the man, puzzled as to where he was going with his, her heart racing.

when not hearing an answer from the girl, benjamin continued

"jenn and i have agreed within reason - if you're both still willing to - to let you and ricky go public. with your relationship and the truth."

ricky glanced at nini full of hope, waiting to hear what she would've said but the girl was just blinking and processing everything

"b-but-um-what-what about-"

she tried asking about lily. but she couldn't. she physically couldn't form the words without thinking about the last time she saw ricky and lily.

"the publicity dating will somehow come to the truth but zack and lily signed the papers that said we could tell the truth." benjamin replied

nini nodded, still staring at the table before she looked at jenn

"y-you-you're okay with this?" she asked slowly

jenn took a deep breath "i support whatever you do as long as it doesn't affect your music."

nini nodded again.

"neens."

she finally looked at ricky, her eyes stinging when she saw his concerned face. she couldn't stop replaying the images of ricky and lily. on repeat. over and over again.

"i-" nini choked on her formed tears and shook her head "i-i can't do this right now-"

she suddenly bolted up from her chair, jenn and benjamin looking at each other in confusion and concern while ricky stood up

"nini-"

the girl made her way towards the door, rushing out of the room as she felt a tear fall down her cheek.

"nini!"

ricky ran down the hall, rushing after her as she tried to get away before she stumbled, sniffling as he arrived to her

"n-"

"y-you're not allowed to trick me." she snapped, wiping her cheeks

ricky knit his eyebrows together, opening his mouth in confusion "b-but-i didn't trick you. i...i'm fixing everything! i'm doing the right thing-i'm getting us back together!"

nini scoffed, looking at him in disbelief "i thought that too. but-i'm not playing anymore games ricky-i-i can't-"

"this isn't a game to me." he said softly, stepping towards her but she took a step back

"it's not?" she asked shakily "you know i went to see you."

ricky looked back at her "what?"

"on tuesday." she choked out "the day everyone found out about the break up. i went to see you. to try and-and maybe fix us."

ricky suddenly felt his chest tighten, scared of where she was going with this

"nini-"

"but someone beat me to it." she exhaled with a bitter laugh "how are you processing everything by the way?"

ricky's face fell and he shook his head "nini-"

"if you liked her, why waste the three months you had with hear and 'break up'?" she questioned, turning around to leave but ricky reached out for her arm

"nini, please let me explain-"

"explain what?!" she exclaimed, her eyes shining with tears as she looked back at him "d-do you even love me anymore?"

"of course i love you!" ricky breathed "i'm doing all of this for you-"

"do you even want to do any of it?"

"yes!" he replied "nini, come on, you know i'm only in love with you." he said softly, reaching for her hand but she backed away

"no." she said quietly, shaking her head "i don't."

ricky felt his heart break and he shook his head "no. nini-"

"i-i need to-to get ready. for the party." she swallowed "y-you get back to your...processing."

ricky tried to stop her but she rushed away from him, the both of them feeling their hearts break the further they were from each other.