01. BOXES AND COLD ICE

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

"y/n!" the mint-haired friend of yours had exclaimed, laughing softly as you turned around. her arms wrapped harsh around you, your eyes smiling as you reciprocate her short hug. happy and jumpy, sucrose pushed up her glasses, holding her book against her chest. "i'm so glad you're here! i knew that you'd be just the friend to help me and mr. albedo!"

"ah, well...it's not like we do much in liyue," you responded, laughing a bit. "lots of preparation for the festivals and all, but again, i'd be glad to be down here as well."

"well, you better cover-up, sweetie, dragonspine's a super~ cold place!" she exclaimed, bubbly. "do you have a coat? if not, i'm sure mr. albedo would give you one━er━if you make it up the mountain, that is."

"ah...well, i'll just buy one from━"

"no need," someone mentioned, a clipboard slamming against a red pen. the two of you turned heads, seeing a blonde boy with a somewhat kind smile. "don't let miss sucrose scare you about the ventures of dragonspine. it's not that bad."

"and you are...?" you slowly leaned closer, staring into his blue orbs.

the boy was somewhat taken aback, especially when everyone around mondstadt knew his name. you, yourself, were quite bold to even take a cautious step towards him, which meant he knew you were foreign. crinkling his eyes, he took a step back, clearing his throat. "albedo."

"ah...sucrose, so this━"

"yes, this is mr. albedo, he'll be taking us to dragonspine to further his studies," she eye-smiled adorably, staring at you as you turned her way. "don't worry, mr. albedo is far more talkative than this when at work! you'll fit in comfortably."

"ah...sucrose, please don't talk about me this way," albedo mentioned quietly, afraid to scare you. of course, someone from liyue would know nothing about a man created from chalk, his light hand meeting sucrose's shoulder. the girl was somewhat startled, turning her master's way. "i'm sure y/n would like to venture on, correct?"

you weren't stupid, you knew he wanted to change the subject. so, you nodded hesitantly. "ah...sure!"

"well, i have to make a delivery back to the campsite...would you two come along?"

sucrose nodded, and with a light sigh, you did as well.

my, would this be a treacherous winter for you...

"what...what's in here, mr. albedo━ugh!" sucrose dropped the large box, causing the two of you to flinch. you chuckled slightly, dropping the box in your hand. it was quite chilly, even when you were offered a blanket from albedo. of course, his kind gesture was enough to warm you even further, but that didn't stop the dropping temperature. "gosh, what did you order that is so heavy?!"

"sorry, sucrose, his velvet laugh caught you by surprise, your eyes slowly meeting his. albedo knew that expression all too well, clearing his throat as he gazed at sucrose instead of you. shy.  "i'm pretty sure that's the one with a new brewer and some other materials."

"gosh..." sucrose sighed, watching as albedo continued up the mountain. you looked down at your light box, smiling as you handed it to sucrose. "i'm not going to lift yours, y/n."

"oh, sucrose, no," you giggled, putting it in her hands━before taking her previous, brown box. as heavy as it was, you trembled up the mountain, sucrose's eyes widening as she looked at you.

"y/n, are you sure you're okay?!"

"don't worry, sucrose, i'll handle━" you groaned as you misstepped, laughing slightly as sucrose gasped. "woops!"

"y/n, don't scare me like that!" she whispered, looking up as she saw albedo watching them. she quickly bowed, itching her head. "sorry, mr. albedo. y/n is just being an idiot."

"sucrose~" you laughed, hearing the soft steps of albedo. ending your chuckling, you see him towering over your laying body, the box next to you. "oh, hi, albedo!"

"are you going to freeze down here?" he questioned, ignoring your previous words. "enough chit-chat. i don't want the both of you to freeze up in all this snow."

"how kind, albedo," you rolled your eyes, groaning as you sat up. "shoot, what a fall. that box is truly heavy."

"isn't it?" she sighed in frustration, shaking her head. "don't worry, y/n, we're almost there. you look like you're cold, too━so let's hurry up."

"ah, alright━" cutting short, before you could've reached the box, albedo grabbed it, lifting it onto his. you widened your eyes at it, sucrose slightly gasping as she saw the soft stare of her master. "...albedo?"

"here," he grumbled, looking away with shame as he passed you the first layer of his coat, gulping as he sighed. "you're a guest before my assistant. i...don't want you to feel cold."

sucrose raised a suspicious eyebrow as she eyed her master, giggling to herself as she soon met your raised eyebrow. so, taking it from his hands, you wrapped it around your shoulders, connecting the button to its hook in front of you. "...thanks, albedo."

"anytime," he whispered, taking one last look at the both of you. "ahem━now, hurry up. we don't have all day."

exchanging looks, you and sucrose smiled. "yes, sir!"