Haunted

Jane had to admit, when she opened the door, she didn't expect to be greeted by an action hero, but honestly, she wasn't complaining. Eddie Diaz stood before her dressed in camo pants and a black eye patch and she had to admit...it was a good look on him. She thought he might have looked even better than Kurt Russel, and she hadn't known that was possible. Objectively of course.

"Halloween come early?" her voice was light and teasing.

"No," he laughed awkwardly, rubbing his hand behind his neck. "I just got the costume together today with the eyepatch and fake gun, so I guess I just wanted to see if it worked, and now I feel silly for answering the door."

"Nah," Jane assured. "Don't feel silly. It's a nice costume. Snake Plissken from Escape from New York, right?"

"Yeah," Eddie gave her a wide smile. "You like that movie?"

"What's not to like? John Carpenter and Kurt Russel? It's a great film, if a bit too obvious in its political allusions for my taste." She started enthusiastically. "I mean, I understand that it was a reaction to the Watergate Scandal and all, but John Carpenter missed a lot of great points he could have made that had to be cut for time and moving the action along. At times I just think the pacing is awkward, which is funny because it came out just after Halloween, and I thought the pacing was perfect in that film."

Eddie appeared startled at her strongly held opinions on the film, and she worried instantly.

Had she said something wrong? When it doubt, keep jabbering. Not the best strategy, but he made her nervous.

"Chimney and I watched it Escape from New York this past summer during our movie nights. Which you and the little guy are always invited too, assuming he's allowed to watch some classic 80's and 90's shenanigans. Of course, if he came, we'd curtail our selections to more family friendly action cinema. Well...not around Halloween with the exception of the Ghostbusters. As I mentioned, John Carpenter's Halloween films are a must, as well as Wes Craven's Nightmare on Elm Street Movies. Actually, it's just all the classic horror movies intermingled with the Conjuring franchise because James Wan is a genius...I mean Chim and I went to see The Nun and it was epic. Okay. Sorry. I'm done." She tried to think of how she could fix this. He didn't need to everything about her movie obsessions. "Sorry, again. Sorry. I was actually prepping our horror movie marathon line up actually for after our next few shifts."

"So...you are really into movies?"

She blushed. "I'm not as devoted as Chimney, but I will admit that my knowledge of useless movie trivia is rather...extensive."

She and Gabe had made the trip to the library at least twice a week for new reading materials and movies, and since their activities kept Gabe from attacking people, they nearly always had a ride. Since they were there so often, the librarians knew them by name and knowing that they were foster kids who likely wouldn't get their guardian to sign permission for them to check out certain titles, the women and men allowed them to get away with an awful lot; including checking out rated R films when Jane was fourteen. Halloween had been Jane's favorite, but Gabe had preferred the original Prom Night. He sympathized with the killer who slaughtered kids to avenge them from bullying his sister to her death.

"You can't like this movie, because you agree with the serial killer," Jane argued, although she had to admit, she did give the boy a lot of sympathy for his motivations. "No matter what, he kills people in very gruesome ways. It isn't okay."

"I mean, if I weren't in the chair, I'd probably follow his example," he shot Jane a meaningful look. "I mean, look at how people treat my sister. Greg and Christina would of course be first on the list and then I'd start on Lewis."