EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE.
what a heavenly way to die

     FATE HAD A way of changing and reshaping lives

     FATE HAD A way of changing and reshaping lives. A small decision — it could be something as small as a single grain of sand — could alter the entire course of somebody's life. Whether is was an action, or a word, they were all unexpected curveballs that could wither into a person's life and change it for good with no point of return. The best way to describe the uncertainty of life was the butterfly effect — a tiny butterfly flapping its wings today could possibly lead to a devastating hurricane tomorrow. And whether it was good or bad, that was okay, because life wasn't all smiles and rainbows. There was an ugly side to it that people preferred not to speak about because it was dark and even frightening. But it was that exact darkness that made people make the wisest choices, ready to accept the consequences.

     Nova Van Kirk could relate to that very logic, maybe a little too well. Ever since Nova left the comfort of her mother's womb, every decision she made was dictated by her parents. They controlled where she attended school, who her friends were, who she dated, and all for the sake for their family reputation. That pressure to be perfect and to make every good decision weighed Nova down, so much that sometimes she almost felt as if she couldn't breathe. When she lost her brother, that pressure became suffocating. There were days when Nova believed she was drowning underneath the crushing waves of perfection, and she believed there was no escape.

     And when Nova finally made a decision for herself and not one controlled by her parents, it was the wrong one. She turned to drugs to make her forget about the crippling grief and the desperate need to be her parents golden child, and it almost destroyed her. It turned her heart into rot and her blood into poison. She became a hollow shell of the girl she used to be. She was no longer the Kook Princess of the Outer Banks. She was the girl with ghost eyes, and she didn't think she could survive this time around.

     Then she met the Pogues. Fate brought her to them when she needed help. While she was drowning underneath the crushing waves of her parents expectations, they reached out their hands for her to take and pulled her out of the water before it was too late. They breathed the air into her lungs and dragged her to the shore of peace and harmony where she could be herself without fear or uncertainty. They allowed her to be herself around them without judgement. They taught her how to live, and not just for the sake of her parents and what they wanted for her, but to live life to the fullest today without a worry of what could happen tomorrow. Nova began to make every choice in her life for herself. She didn't think about how it could effect her parents reputation. She only cared about what it would mean for herself if she was to make those decisions and that was the greatest power of all.