Chapter 52

Chapter 52

We finished doing our reading.

Lexi looked out of it.

Had I completely alienated her, by kissing her? Had this kiss destroyed everything I'd worked for so far?

I could probably manage it, if Lexi told me she didn't want anything romantic with me. It would destroy me if I lost her friendship though.

I didn't want to think that I had made things weird between us because of that kiss.

That kiss had meant the world to me.

I hated to think it meant nothing good for Lexi.

God, I hated second guessing myself like this.

We sat back at our table, but Lexi was making a point of not even looking at me. I pressed my lips together to try to keep my emotions in check.

I could feel a headache in my temples coming up.

Daphnee was poking Lexi, probably trying to understand what had just happened.

I honestly didn't know what I'd been thinking now that the deed was done.

I had kissed Lexi, but at what price?

Daphnee passed her a note. I caught on the corner of my eye the word getting it on before Lexi hid the message with her palm.

I shouldn't be looking at this. But this was about me...

Lexi was scowling beside me and scribbled furiously, We are not getting anything on. This wasn't anything and PLEASE can we NOT talk about it

She passed the piece of paper back. It was going around Daphnee and Alex.

I wanted to leave the classroom and go hide somewhere.

Yep. Nothing was going on between us.

I'd made a terrible, terrible mistake and now Lexi was mad at me.

So, instead, I started to write nonsense words in my notebooks, just writing quotes from Les Misérables.

The bell rang. I got up, and Lexi too.

Finally, she looked my way for the first time since kissing her.

I tried to not let it show on my face, how utterly empty I felt at the moment, how stupid I found myself.

First, I needed to apologize if I wanted to have any chance of salvaging what I had with Lexi. "Listen, I'm—" I started to say, but the teacher decided to call us right at this moment.

We walked to her desk.

"I hope you both know that the little stunt earlier will definitely not give you more points, we don't encourage public display like this and it was completely inappropriate," she explained, which was totally legitimate.

I was honestly surprised I hadn't gotten in more trouble after pulling that stunt. Teachers didn't exactly encourage students making out.

But I was a smartass. And I didn't want Lexi to lose any points on our assignment because I hadn't been able to resist kissing her. "But Miss, in the play, around that moment Hernani was supposed to hold Dona Sol in his arms, okay they don't kiss until the end of the second act but I still think my reading of it was valid."

The teacher seemed slightly displeased with my rebuttal. "You've made your research, that's a good thing. But I just don't want other students to think that they'll get more points if they make out in front of the class. Have I made myself clear?"