28. Journal Entry Fifteen of Learning

Jenna absolutely refused to let me drive

She threatened murder.

As she normally does.

That is why I'm currently riding shotgun as we drive to the Victoria Country Club.

We've been on the road for approximately two hours.

Jenna's bridal retinue is following us, as is Rosalie.

We're going for the rehearsal lunch.

Jenna's death metal soundtrack is close to making me want to yank out the stereo system and toss it out the window, but Aura's voice, cutting through the heavy music, is keeping me from doing anything.

Right now, she's telling Jenna, "As much as you like this song, Julie has already picked out a song for the two of you to dance to and you very willingly agreed to it because of the sentimental value it holds for the both of you."

Jenna grumbles.

"You know, Al, sometimes, I want to throw you out a window," my wonderful sister tells her lovely friend.

"I'd like to see you try," Aura fires back.

Jenna glares at Aura through the rearview mirror. "You hate mornings. You're such a night owl. How the hell are you so chipper before nine in the morning?" she wants to know.

Aura smiles sweetly at her. "I have wonderful opportunities to annoy you," she says, "And, look at the sky, Ray. It's so blue and the terrain is so flat that you can see it for miles and miles in all directions. It's so beautiful."

I look at Aura through the rearview mirror.

She's looking out the window, smiling.

It makes me smile.

I stopped looking when I noticed that Jenna was smirking at me.

She then, rolled her eyes at Aura. "Al finds the sky to be an absolute wonderment. It changes colour all the time, Al."

"Have you ever seen it so blue? The sky is quite literally the colour of Scarlett's eyes today," Aura says.

"She used to just sit near the window in our room looking up at the sky. Especially, at night," Jenna goes on, like Aura had never spoken in the first place.

"The night sky is the best sky, I think," Aura muses. Looking at her through the rearview mirror, I wonder whether she realizes that she's speaking out loud. I feel like I'm tapping into her thoughts with the way she's speaking. "After the evening sky, I think. Oh, but the sunrise is also nice."

Her brow is furrowed.

She's deep in thought.

She's beautiful.

Jenna disturbs the peace by snorting loudly and giving me quite a pointed look when I look in her direction.

I narrowed my eyes at her and said, "Gesundheit."

She sneers back at me.

My eyes get the better of me when they wander over to look at her.

I'm usually always in control, Dad.

I can't help looking over at her.

It's going to get me in trouble.

Well, it already has.

Jenna already knows.

She's made that abundantly clear.

She makes that clear every time she coughs when she catches me looking at Aura.

We stopped on the way for a snack.

We all did.

Including Isa, Marco, Scarlett and Ace.

Rosalie absolutely refused to not head straight to the country club to ensure all her instructions are being followed to a T by the staff.

While we were standing around, waiting for our food, Isa told Aura that she and Scarlett could definitely use her in the argument they're trying to win against the boys.

She managed to convince Aura to switch transports.

Which is why I'm currently in a car with only Jenna and Mom.

I wouldn't admit it out loud, but I almost miss Aura and her voice and her thoughts and her aura.

My heart stops whenever Jenna mentions her name, but I try not to look too affected.

Looking around at both of them and listening to Jenna's remarks and Mom's exasperation, it's so bittersweet because on the one hand, it's so nice to be a part of this family, but on the other, there's the gaping lack of you, Dad.

You should have been here.

You should have been here to laugh at Jenna and Mom debating.

You should have been here to make accurate guesses as to what all our relatives would say.

You should have been here to watch your daughter walk down the aisle.

You should have been here to walk your daughter down the aisle; not have that honour be bestowed upon the son you left behind.

You should have been here to laugh at Jenna with her wife; another daughter for you.

You should have been here, Dad, to get to know another girl who may become your daughter.

At least, that's my hope.

Another set of updates in a few hours!

Learning is almost over ;)

Stay tuned!

❤