Chapter 17

The sign of the motel was missing a letter to actually spell out the word 'motel.' It didn't matter though. All that it mattered was a roof over their heads to keep them away from the harsh fat droplets of water that began to pour down, creating a drumming pitter patters of sound.

The rumble in the sky was deafening. Anyone would want to go inside once they hear the threatening sound of thunder because it often accompanies a lightning bolt.

Isabella was looking out of her car window as Romeo was out to get them a room that they could stay in. The little girl was alone in the car, listening to the wind that was starting to howl.

She grimaced at the sight of the weather. She never liked storms, she never liked the sound that it emits because it makes her feel scared.

And, she doesn't like feeling scared.

Whenever there were storms happening, her brothers or her father would often accompany her until she's no longer afraid. They would sing their own made-up songs to ease her fears and they would often build some kind of fort with some flashlights and some cookies.

The little girl shrivelled up at the thought of spending the scary storm with a person that she barely knows. Isabella wanted to be in her bed with her family. She doesn't want to be in a motel in the middle of who-knows-where.

However, she won't complain.

Isabella knows that she should be glad that they have a roof over their head for now, that she'll get to sleep in a bed and she'll be sheltered from the rain and that she has an adult with her.

Romeo is Dante's most trusted buddy. Surely, whoever was following them would never beat Romeo because the man is strong and will never put Isabella in harm's way.

Suddenly, a lightning bolt flashed, lighting up the environment for a moment, causing Isabella to shriek and close her eyes in fear. The little girl noticed that she was shaking and that she was closing her ears to protect herself from unwanted loud noise.

The lightning was too close. Isabella doesn't want it. She doesn't want to be alone in the car. Romeo was not in the car and she's scared of being alone.

Isabella hates feeling scared.

But, she's so scared right now.

Suddenly, her door opened and the little girl unwillingly opened her eyes to look at the intruder.

The said intruder was Romeo who was holding a black umbrella. He was looking at her with an awkward worried look plastered on his face. It looked as if worry was never an emotion that he had to face.

Without saying a word, he gently unbuckled her seatbelt and lifted her up from her car seat to protectively have her in his strong arms.

Isabella, quivering from the fear, held onto Romeo tightly, closing her eyes again. The little girl was whimpering and it made Romeo feel sad.

"I borrowed an umbrella from the dude at the counter." He stated mindlessly but Isabella didn't say a word. Romeo sighed. He wasn't really that good with children. He closed the door and locked the car.

"Don't hold onto me so tightly. You'll choke me." He tried to joke but the little girl never lessened the tightness of her hold on him. In fact, she even clutched his shirt right after he said his words.

"M' scared..." Isabella's voice was shaking. "I want papa..."

Romeo, pitying her state, started to walk away from their car to go to their supposed room so that Isabella's safe from the rain.

He was glad that their room wasn't on the second floor because he was awkwardly holding a little kid in his arms.

He never held a kid before so you can't blame him. At least he's trying.