CHAPTER 27

They gathered in an empty field behind the school as the sun slunk below the horizon, painting the world in a myriad of golds and pinks and purples. The grass was overgrown, and it beat against Carter's legs as they pushed onward, stopping only when they reached a slight incline-the closest thing they had to a hill.

It was here Margo set down her pack and began rifling through it, setting aside various supplies as she went.

Ryu regarded a growing pile of candles with notable trepidation.

"That's...a lot," he commented nervously. "Sure you won't accidentally set something on fire?"

Margo waved him off, unbothered. "I know what I'm doing." As she arranged the last of the candles, she carefully produced Tenebrarum praesentibus adhiberetur: De Dcemone Encylopedia from a separate compartment and began leafing through it.

Carter stepped forward to help unravel a tartan picnic blanket Margo had brought. They arranged it across the grass in the middle of the circle of candles, then Margo crouched by it and began scrawling a variation of symbols across its fabric with a white liquid chalk marker.

Finally, Margo gave a affirmative nod and stood back, capping the marker with a decided click.

"Okay, boys," she said, looking over her shoulder at them. The wind pulled her hair into elegant waves that floated rhythmically with the breeze, and the setting sun gilded every edge and curve of her. She looked like a benevolent goddess, come upon them to offer her wisdom and power. Despite everything, Carter was grateful. "Let's do this thing."

"Does it...hurt?" Carter asked softly.

It was the first time he'd spoken since they'd left the bathroom, and both Margo and Ryu shot him surprised looks.

Carter ducked his head and stared at his feet. He hadn't been able to bring himself to speak, not after he'd gone home and written Gloria that letter, knowing full well he was walking into danger.

But this was the first time he was wondering if the exorcism would hurt Ryu, and it sent guilt barrelling through him. Ryu was willingly allowing this exorcism, and Carter was only now asking after his well-being. His stomach gave a sickening lurch.

"If it does, it'll fade," Ryu murmured quietly. "I don't experience anything quite the way a mortal does. Like with the..."

Sand.

It hung silently between them, and Carter closed his eyes as the shape of the word formed in his mind. His heart galloped fiercely against his chest, pulse racing as he remembered. Remembered the warmth of the sun beating down on his skin. The scratch of the sand against his skin and under his fingernails. And Ryu, the shape of so oddly corporal and false, like he was there and not.

Carter could picture him there, propped up on his elbows against the sand, skin ruby-red in the sunlight that never touched him, horns protruding from those waves of inky hair. He'd raked those deathly-sharp claws through the sand and let the grains fling through the air. He'd looked at Carter across the small universe between them and smiled.

It'd been all teeth and crimson mouth and sharp teeth.

It'd been perfect.

When Carter opened his eyes, he realised his cheeks were wet.

And Ryu was standing directly in front of him, eyes wide with worry.

"Are you...okay?" He asked, voice so gentle the wind almost carried it away.

"I still don't want this," Carter whispered back. The world blurred around him as more tears fell. "I still don't want to lose you."

Ryu smiled, this one wobbly and precarious. "I know. Me too."