40. Cracked in love

"So all these charitable acts that I have been hearing were actually done by you on Ariana's behalf, Lady Bennet?" Nathaniel asked Persephone. Everybody's attention shifted from Xavier and Ariana to them. "Unless you consider taking credit for giving away something that doesn't belong to you as a right thing to do."

"I shall willingly give her all the credits if it makes you happy, Nate." Persephone declared, earning gasps from people at the table.

"It's Alpha Astor for you." Nathaniel announced before getting up and leaving, earning even louder gasps.

Persephone remained seated, fuming in humiliation. 

Alpha Anwar clenched his jaw in anger. He didn't like this one bit. One by one, his family affairs were being aired. He glared at Persephone. Had she not instigated Ariana, this drama wouldn't have happened. Anwar noticed that Persephone had started to get on not only Nate's but Xavier's nerves as well. And losing favor of the King was the last thing he wanted for his pack. He must talk to her before she further humiliates Ravernia and Bennet family in front of all the pack leaders.

"I know what you're thinking." Luna Naomi mind-linked him. "Do not worry about losing favor of the King. For the King wouldn't do anything that upsets your other sister from now onwards." She gave a reassuring nod to her mate.

Meanwhile, Ariana absentmindedly walked to another garden of the palace. She went to the table set there, before sitting on one of the chairs, facing opposite to the castle. She sighed as she thought of the conversation she had with Xavier. 

"Maybe I should have said one or two more hurtful things to him before walking away. Don't you think, wolfie?"

Saoirse nodded in agreement. "You know, I had a little bit of faith in Moon Goddess thinking she did give us the Alpha King as a mate at least. But now I feel nothing but anger. How could she give us such a delusional freak as a mate?"

"I know, right? If he didn't want me to curtsy to him, he should've given me the rank of his Queen. If he wanted me to remember moments with him fondly, he should've accepted me as his mate. I swear, wolfie. I shall address him as my brother-in-law whenever he tries to talk to me."

After a moment of silence, Saoirse spoke. "I know you're hurting from inside, human."

Ariana wiped the tears falling down her cheeks. "Of course I am! How can a werewolf forget the pain of rejection given by their mate? I'm certain that never in the history has it happened to anyone. Why me? He was supposed to be mine, Saoirse!"

"I know." 

"And now, I cannot even look at his face without my blood boiling. His very presence reminds me of his betrayal!"

Saoirse listened to her in silence, allowing her human to vent. When Ariana finally stopped, she started, "His wolf was trying to reach out to me -"

"- Lady Ariana." 

Duchess Lily entered, followed by a maid, who had a tray full of teapot, two cups and sweat tea pie in her hands. The maid quickly set the tray on the table before pulling out a chair for the Duchess. 

The whole time Ariana didn't get up from the chair to greet her but stared at her with bloodshot eyes in an attempt to make her uncomfortable.

Duchess Lily didn't even notice the disrespect as she instantly became worried seeing Ariana's puffy face. "Ariana, were you crying? Is it because what Persephone said before? You do not need to worry about that at all. You saw how Xavier didn't even listen to her."

"You're right, Duchess. It's not like I ever had to worry about Persephone when it came to him." said Ariana sarcastically. 

Duchess hurriedly took her hands in her own. "Trust me. You won't have to. Forget the past."