Chapter 29

Elina looked at me from her corner of the dark brown couch, shutting her book closed—the cover had a bare chested man on it—and setting her wine glass on the table. I eyed her over my own book, one I'd stolen from her library, and put my bookmark in.

"What?" I asked, setting my book on the table. Mine had a cartoonish illustration of a man and a woman on it, far more innocent. On the outside, at least.

She sat up, rested her head on her hand and looked at me for a while longer. Her blond hair looked almost red in the shine from the fireplace we'd lit, to gain some of the same atmosphere from the backyard. It was way into fall, almost winter already, and far too cold and wet to sit outside after sundown. I didn't mind it, though I missed the sweet smells of the flowers.

"Nothing," she said eventually, shaking her head a little. "I just think you're glowing lately. James says the same about Damian. He's much less grumpy when there's just the two of them."

I took a sip of wine. "I don't think I've seen Damian grumpy," I told her, even if I did see an angry, borderline mad, man on our first date. I wondered silently if that was what he was like all the time—just not with me.

Elina choked a laugh. "That's because he's completely in love with you. He was from the first time he saw you, I think. He's soft for you."

It may have been the wine, but I blurted out, "He's definitely not soft for me." Elina couldn't hold her laughter, and changed her position to be on her knees, and I sat up straighter while I laughed with her.

"I've always wanted to know," she said, biting her lip a little as her dark eyebrow raised, "is he big?"

Even if I wanted to disappear into the couch cushions, I nodded. "The first time I didn't think it would fit." My voice was lowered, even if we were completely alone in the house.

There was a situation somewhere, and Damian dropped me off to stay with Elina while he and James went out to take care of it. As far as I knew, it wasn't anything dangerous, so I wasn't too scared. Elina seemed calm as well, so I enjoyed my time there.

She giggled and picked her wine glass up. "He's hot, without a doubt, but I'm a little surprised. I thought his distant and angry personality would match a small dick, but I guess not. Lucky girl." She winked at me and picked up the chilled bottle from the table to top off her glass.

I held out mine and she filled it up as well. "What about James?" I asked, filling my mouth with the sweet dessert wine we'd picked out from her special fridge just for wine, tasting it thoroughly.

Her eyes darkened a bit with mischief, and if she was embarrassed to answer there was no hint of it. "He's big," she said, lifting her eyebrows suggestively. "We're lucky girls, Isabelle. What's the odds of two best friends having big dicks?"

We both giggled for a while, letting the lovely buzz from the alcohol take over our minds, relaxing for real. I'd had trouble relaxing lately, if Damian wasn't spoiling me with his skilled mouth and hips, or holding me in his arms. I'd been looking over my shoulder everywhere, even at work. I blamed the taxi driver and the men who followed me and held a gun to my temple for my new anxiety. It wasn't easy, but right there, in Elina's house with her, I felt safe.

"Damian's great with his mouth as well," I said as I kept my eyes up at the ceiling, smiling as I remembered the low grunts he always provided when he went down on me. "I've never had better sex."

Elina giggled again. "Me neither. Maybe they share tips and techniques when they're out all night."

We fell into a fit of laughter. I almost spilled my wine, and then laughed a little more after I noticed, until the glass was pulled from my hand and placed on the table. We both stopped laughing. A warm hand found its way to my thigh, another rested on my shoulder, and chills went down my spine as an all-too familiar dark voice said, "Hello, sweetheart."