Chapter 8 -- A Learning Something New

In history class, Elena and Stefan gazed at each other while Tanner lectured. Caroline just looked at them weirdly and continued writing notes. It felt like most of the time she was the only one actually studying in that class which was probably mostly true.

"Originally discovered nearly 5 centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years. Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration. Are we bothering you, Mr. Salvatore? Ms. Gilbert?" Finally growing tired at the two studants throwing lovey dovey looks at eachother and Caroline honestly couldn't blame him.

Elena and Stefan drop their gazes after being exposed to the whole class and the bell sounded indicating the end of the lesson.

In the hall way Caroline and Bonnie saw Stefan and Elena talking. Then they saw the exchange a book.  The two girls looked at eachother knowingly as if something scandalous had just happened then they giggled together.

"I'm confused. Are you psychic or clairvoyant?" Caroline said faking confusion to her friend.
"Technically, Grams says I'm a witch. My ancestors were these really cool Salem witch chicks or something. Grams tried to explain it all, but she was looped on the liquor so I kinda tuned out. Crazy family, yes. Witches? I don't think so." Bonnie explained exasperated.
"I think it's pretty cool BonBon. Come over my house after the grill I want to tell you something. That good with you?"
"Perfectly fine with me. What about Elena?"
"I don't want her to know."
"Okay Care. I'll be there."

After school the girls were at the grill and sat at their usual table.
"Well, I was talking to Grams, and she said the comet is a sign of impending doom. The last time it passed over Mystic Falls, there was lots of death. So much blood and carnage, it created a bed of paranormal activity." Bonnie explained to the other girls at the table.
"Yeah, and then you poured Grams another shot and she told you about the aliens." Elena replied ruining the mood of the others.

"So then what." Caroline stated.
"So then nothing." Elena replied.
"You hung out with Stefan all night. What did you do?"
"We talked."
"About?" Caroline pressed.
"Stuff." Elena responded unhelpfully.
"You and Stefan talked all night? And didn't talk about your relationship? Just stuff?" Caroline said almost offended.
"Nope. We didn't go there." Elena said bored of the conversation.
"Not even a 'I think you're cute'? I mean, Elena, we are your friends. Ok? You are supposed to share the gossip." Bonnie joined in with Caroline's pestering.
"We just talked for hours about books and stuff." Elena replied dreamily.
"Ok, what is with the blockage? Just tell him how you feel already! Ok, it's easy. Two people like eachother, they date! Not that hard Elena." Caroline exclaimed annoyed.
"Profound." Elena commented while getting up.

"Where are you going?" Bonnie asked looking up at her brown haired best friend.
"Caroline's right." Elena started.
"Obviously." Caroline interjected.
"As I was saying... It is easy. If I sit here long enough, I'll end up talking myself out of it instead of actually telling him how I feel." She finished looking at the two others.
"Go then girl. Get your man." Bonnie encouraged remembering that Care wanted to talk to her after this.

Bonnie and Caroline went to the latter's house and sat on her couch.
"Bonnie I don't think this witch stuff is crazy."
"What do you mean?"
Caroline took a deep breath her hand lit of fire scaring Bonnie. Caroline thought Bonnie was scared of her but...
"Oh my gosh are you okay?! Does that not hurt your hand's on fire?!" Bonnie was only worried about Caroline's wellbeing. Caroline put her had out and smiled.

"Sorry if I shocked you but after that nothing really surprises me anymore." Caroline said amused feeling bad for shocking her friend.
"I have a feeling as well that Grams is telling the truth. It might do good to listen to her next time."
Bonnie just nodded along.
"Next on the agenda is the supernatural. The three well knowns Vampires, Witches and Werewolves. Vampires can only walk in the sun with a spelled Lapis Lazuli piece of jewellery, can only enter houses if invited it and need to drink blood to survive. Most Witches normally do things for the sake of natural balance. Which is mostly bull. I'm an elemental (a being genuinely connected to nature) and Vampires don't feel unnatural. Honestly the complete opposite. Werewolves start as normal humans but with a werewolf gene that is triggered by killing a human. For most werewolves this is normally a complete accident. You got all that."

"Barely... Wait you said Vampires don't feel unnatural. You've met one?" Bonnie caught.
"No I've met two. My boyfriend and someone else I won't mention unless they want anyone to know."
"Wait your boyfriend is a Vampire? Is that why you didn't want us to meet yet? Is he dangerous?"
"No he wouldn't harm a fly. Its just you would be able to tell by touching him, like a handshake for example, and I didn't want you to be startled. I can call him if you want to meet him." Caroline told her.
"No I want to handle all this information first and talk to Grams."
"Grams probably doesn't like Vampires, as I said nature unbalance bull, but I completely understand wanting to know everything first."

"How does he feed?" Bonnie asked in interest.
"There are multiple ways a vampire can feed. They can pose them as animal attacks which is what a new more recent vampire has done. There's animal blood which is what the unmentioned Vampire does. There's the compelling method where they compel their victim to forget. Or the one my boyfriend does which is he uses blood bags."
"Oh that's cool. Wait. What's compelling? Wait what do you mean animal attacks!"
"The animal attacks are from a new Vampire and compulsion is when a Vampire can basically mind control someone by looking into their eyes. It doesn't work on witches but it does work on Elementals apparently so I have to wear Vervain to prevent it."

Caroline and Bonnie sat there with the former answering all of the latter's questions about this new subject until it was time for her to go home.
"If any of the supernatural becomes a problem I'll tell Jenna, Jeremy and Elena if she doesn't find out."
"Why wouldn't you tell Elena?"
"I feel like she'll find out soon." Caroline smiled at Bonnie waving to her as she left.

This was going to be a long few months.