Chapter 55

By the time the day had turned into night, Marlene was finally finished with her three essays, and so the fours girls changed into their Hogwarts robes. They soon got out of their compartment as the train stopped at the Hogsmeade station, making their way outside along with the crowd of students.

They could see Hagrid from afar, calling the first years forward. But this year, Jenna and her friends weren't going to cross the Black Lake. Instead, they were supposed to get on horseless carriages that hurtled forward the moment they entered it, finally swaying to a halt once they reached the castle.

"I missed this place so much," Alice said with a dreamy sigh, looking all around her as they walked into the entrance hall and then through the magnificent doors of the Great Hall.

"I'm so glad we don't have to be the ones to go through the sorting ceremony," said Marlene as the four girls took their seats at Gryffindor table. "I was so stressed out last year. It is so scary, being sorted while a hundred people are watching you."

"Oh, me too." Alice nodded with a worried look. "But now thinking back at it, it wasn't so horrible."

Although the first years would certainly disagree with Alice, because once they finally walked through the Great Hall led by Professor McGonagall, the stress was visible on each of their faces.

"That's Sirius's brother, by the way," Jenna whispered to the girls, pointing at one of the boys with silky black hair and grey eyes, just like Sirius's. "His name is Regulus, I think."

Everyone finally fell silent as the group of first years reached the end of the Hall, where an old hat was set on the top of a stool. And so, the hat began to sing a new song like each year.

"When I call your name," Professor McGonagall told the nervous-looking first years after the hat fell quiet, a long parchment in her hands, "walk forward and sit on the stool."

With that, she started calling out the names, and so one by one, the first years sat on the stool to try on the hat. There were two new Hufflepuffs and one Gryffindor before Professor McGonagall called out, "Black, Regulus!"

Gulping, the young boy walked forward to sit on the stool. Jenna could see Sirius's eyes fixed on his brother eagerly, secretly hoping that he would end up in Gryffindor as well, just like him.

But Sirius's face fell when a few moments later the sorting hat shouted, "SLYTHERIN!"

With a little smile, Regulus hopped off the stool and walked toward the Slytherin table as they clapped and cheered. But Jenna could see the visible disappointment on Sirius's face as he looked away.

The sorting ceremony went on. Two of the last people who were sorted were a boy named Mike Williams, and then a girl called Alexandra Starling, who surprised everyone when she was sorted into Ravenclaw before the hat even had the chance to touch her head.

  Jenna had thought that she was full because of all the sweets they'd had on the train, but after the sorting ceremony, when the feast started and hundreds of delicious-looking dishes appeared before them, she started to feel hungry again.

After the feast, the four girls got up and made their way up to the Gryffindor common room along with the other students. Once they got to their old dorm, they found that their trunks had already been brought up for them.

"I'm so full that I can't eat anything for two day," Marlene groaned as she dropped herself down on her bed, sighing.

"Well, before you sleep," Jenna started, making her way toward her trunk and sitting down on the ground to open it, "I have a surprise for you, Mar."

"What is it?" Marlene asked curiously, sitting on the bed and glancing at Jenna's direction, who was searching through her stuff.

With a smile, Jenna took a small box out of her trunk, walking toward Marlene to hand in to her. "My mum made this for you."

"Merlin's beard!" Marlene squealed as she opened it, seeing a delicious-looking pumpkin pie inside it. She then took a piece of it and ate it, smiling in bliss. "This tastes amazing!"

"Mar, I thought you said you were full," said Lily, looking at her friend in concern as she put another piece in her mouth.

"One can never have enough food, Madam," Marlene said solemnly, and the other girls giggled.

***

The next day, the four girls got ready early and wore on their Hogwarts robes before heading down to the Great Hall. They were in the middle of breakfast that all their head shot up when dozens of owls flew into the hall, carrying the morning mail.

     Jenna wasn't expecting any mails from her parents this soon, so she was slightly surprised when an owl flew down and dropped an envelope next to her plate.

     Curiously, she started opening up the letter to see what was written inside.

Dear James and Jenna,

I hope you're already having a great time at school and that your classes will go well.

I'm writing to you about your father's old Invisibility Cloak. Only a few hours ago we realized that it was missing, and we can't find it anywhere. Please write back if you've seen it anywhere.

Your father and I miss you so much already, and hope to see you soon.

Love,
Mum

    Seeing the frown on Jenna's face, Lily looked up at her worriedly, putting down her Potions book which she was studying in advance.

     "Everything okay?" Lily asked softly.

     "Our dad's Invisibility Cloak is missing. They can't find it anywhere," said Jenna.

     "Woah! You guys have an actual Invisibility Cloak!?" Marlene exclaimed. "That's so cool! They're kinda rare, you know."

      "Well, technically, they don't have an Invisibility Cloak anymore," said Alice, pouring herself some orange juice calmly.

      "I should probably tell James," said Jenna, sighing. "He'd be crushed. This Cloak would've meant more to him than me."

     "How so?" Lily mused.

     "Well, this cloak has been in our family for generations now," Jenna explained. "It's a tradition for the Cloak to be passed down to the firstborn child of the Potter family, once they are of age. Technically, James is older than me, even though it's only eleven minutes. So the cloak was going to be his once he turned seventeen."

     "Speaking of the devil," Lily mumbled with an eye-roll, gesturing at the Great Hall's doors.

     Looking up, Jenna saw James walking into the Hall along with Sirius, Remus, and Peter.

     "I'll be back in a minute," said Jenna, getting up to her feet to approach the four boys who had taken their seats at the end of the Gryffindor table.

     "Hey, J.P," Jenna greeted him once she reached him, after waving at the other boys. "You haven't seen Dad's Invisibility Cloak by any chance, have you?"

     "Invisibility Cloak?" James raised his brows at her. "Why?"

     "Well... apparently Mum and Dad can't find it," Jenna said sadly.

     "Oh..." James pursed his lips together. But all he said was, "Too bad." He then reached out for a toast, placing it on his plate.

     Jenna's brows furrowed. "That's it? That's all you have to say?"

     "What do you want me to say?"

     "Dunno. Thought you'd get sad or something. The Cloak was going to be yours, after all."

      "Don't worry, J.P. I'm sure they'll find it." James shrugged, taking a bite of his toast.

     "Okay..." Jenna muttered, giving him a suspicious look before walking back to her friends.

     That was weird, she thought to herself suspiciously.