Chapter 20

NAOMI'S POV:

The single beats of my heart matched the pounding sound of his footsteps perfectly as he stumbled quickly down the hallway. Loud as a stampede, each approaching step becoming more and more thunderous, and even more untreatable. Mr. Patry hadn't said much on the phone, which undoubtedly intensified Mr. Davis' concerns. He never liked vagueness, being in the dark about instances awoken something troubling inside of him.

Turning my head, I glanced over at my bed and had a pleasant thought of how nice it would be to crawl inside and stay there for the next four years of my life because the consequences of what happened right now are nothing short of salient. Jasper and I broke a very important rule, and by breaking that rule we subsequently broke several others. Not only was Jasper in my room alone, but he was also in the girl's dormitory, half naked while kissing me and I allowed it. Even though the thought was blissfully replaying in my head, I had to sit in agony and wait for my executioner to arrive.

When he finally reached my room and forced his way into the door frame where Mr. Patry was, he glanced inside to spot me immediately for any physical injuries. Realizing there was none, he turned his attention to Mr. Patry for an explanation.

"What...?" Looking inside again, he directed his attention immediately to Jasper. As it processed in his head, his look of concern had turned into epiphanic dismay. "What's going on here?" He bypassed Mr. Patry, standing directly in front of us.

Even though he looked more toward Jasper, and although I was pretty sure Mr. Davis does not have heat-vision, I shielded my eyes from his piercing glare.

"One of you better answer me." He exclaimed, snapping both of our attentions in place.

Jasper and I exchanged looks, neither of us knowing how exactly to describe the situation because we both knew any word said would be the end of us.

"It's uh, well it's..." I began, but my mouth turned dry.

"Yes Naomi?"

"It's actually a really funny story, you're going to laugh." I chuckled hysterically in apprehension.

"I can promise you I won't."

My smile disappeared, within five seconds I managed to waste my first strike.

"Naomi and Jasper were in here alone kissing..." Mr. Patry said clearly, indicating the little patience he had left. "And Jasper's shirt was off."

Glancing back to him, Mr. Davis looked at Mr. Patry as if he were mistaken. That's how shocked he was. But that shock-filled approach was soon squashed by a presence of resentment. Folding his arms across his chest, he stepped forward in front of Jasper who kept his eyes steadily on him because he knew otherwise would only make the matter worse.

We both noticed his displeasure when his eyes traced down Jasper's shirt and identified the stain.

Realizing it, Jasper quickly added: "It's lotion." He asserted as he pointed to his shirt and then at the spilt bottle of lotion on the floor. "N-nothing happened."

I think this was the longest I've ever witnessed Mr. Davis silent. He just stood here glaring at us with a blistering red face and a vein piercing from the side of his forehead. With a slow motion, he stepped in front of me and looked me coldly in the eyes as he knelt down.

"Nothing happened?" He asked.

"N-no sir. Just a kiss, that's all."

"That's all." He mocked. "Jim, will you tell one of the overseers to watch over the students? My time will be occupied here."